History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Post Office

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashton-under-Lyne, Tameside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.488 / 53°29'16"N

Longitude: -2.0933 / 2°5'35"W

OS Eastings: 393909

OS Northings: 399035

OS Grid: SJ939990

Mapcode National: GBR FXT3.MC

Mapcode Global: WHB9J.TLDD

Entry Name: Former Post Office

Listing Date: 12 June 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1084308

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358730

Location: Tameside, OL6

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Ashton-under-Lyne

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Ashton-under-Lyne The Good Shepherd

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Dukinfield

Listing Text

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/11/2017


SJ 9398,
1478-0/0/10001,

ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE, WARRINGTON STREET

No. 26, Former Post Office

(Formerly listed as: Post Office)

II

Former Post Office. Dated 1891 off attic architrave; altered. Red brick in
Flemish bond, with sandstone dressings and slate roof . Almost
rectangular plan on corner site. Renaissance style. Two storeys and
attic, 1:3:1 bays, the 5th breaking forwards slightly, plus a
single-storey 3-bay wing to the left; with an interrupted battered
plinth, ground-floor sill band; rusticated long-and-short quoins a
panelled frieze and moulded cornice over the ground floor with three
balustraded balconies, and an eaves frieze with nailhead panels between
moulded brackets to a prominent moulded cornice. The 3-bay centre has a
rusticated surround to a doorway and two tall windows (the doorway
probably formerly a window, tile 1st window with wooden glazing bars
holding a circular pane and the other with C20 glazing); at first floor a
3-bay balustraded balcony and three tall round-headed windows with
architraves which have fluted pilasters with Corinthian capitals, and
cross-window casement glazing with plain fanlights; and an attic dormer
with edited architrave. The end bay to the right, which breaks
forwards, is featured, with a larger window at ground floor (with C20
glazing, and probably formerly the doorway), a balcony with urn finials,
a 1st-floor window like the others but with a scallop tympanum, and an
attic dormer with mullioned 2-light window in an elaborate pedimented
architrave which has supporters with foliated cartouches, that to the
right monogrammed "1891". In the bay to the left the lower window is
like those in the centre, the upper like that to the right. The
single-storey wing continued to the left has a doorway and two windows
like the others at ground floor. The right-hand return wall (to
Wellington Street), is in similar but simpler style. Interior altered.

Listing NGR: SJ9390999035

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.