History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Education Offices, Downhills School and Railings and Walls to Front

A Grade II Listed Building in West Green, Haringey

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5869 / 51°35'12"N

Longitude: -0.0877 / 0°5'15"W

OS Eastings: 532582

OS Northings: 189297

OS Grid: TQ325892

Mapcode National: GBR H9.LL3

Mapcode Global: VHGQM.FCJS

Plus Code: 9C3XHWP6+QW

Entry Name: Education Offices, Downhills School and Railings and Walls to Front

Listing Date: 27 February 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1084327

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358691

Location: Haringey, London, N15

County: Haringey

Electoral Ward/Division: West Green

Built-Up Area: Haringey

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Philip Tottenham

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

800- /25/10020 (North side)

No. 336 Education Offices,
Downhills School & railings
& walls to front


Headquarters of the Tottenham School Board. 1899-1900, almost certainly by Albert E
Pridmore, architect to the Board. Brick and terracotta, hipped slated roof with tall stacks.
Square building of two storeys with a symmetrical though lively facade. Main facade has
projecting five-bay centrepiece with broader single-bay wings and recessed entrances to
sides. Ground floor of centrepiece a vigorous design with central panelled door with
toplight in lavish round-arched and projecting doorcase of terracotta with Jacobethan
details. Round-arched windows to either side under terracotta Gibbsian surrounds, with
smaller toplights to tripartite casements. First-floor sill band level with swan-necked
pediment over panelled red brick ind doorcase. First floor with central three windows
having small panes to their casements, set under keystones and within bands of terracotta
decoration. Corner oriels to either side particularly lavish in their use of terracotta, with
scroll mouldings and small paned casements. Terracotta balustraded pediment with brick
piers, heavy cornice and broken segmental. pediment from which projects a clock. On
apex of roof an open timber cupola. Wings to either side with terracotta bands, the two
windows either side on ground floor with keystones, the larger single windows to first
floor under segmental pediment. This same treatment continued on side elevations. Doors
to either side six-panelled in pedimented door surrounds. To front, railings on dwarf,
segmental-dished walls with contrasting brick piers and stone gatepiers a part of the
Source: Victoria County History, Middlesex, vol.RV, 1976.T

Listing NGR: TQ3258289297

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.