This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2152 / 51°12'54"N
Longitude: 0.6159 / 0°36'57"E
OS Eastings: 582793
OS Northings: 149475
OS Grid: TQ827494
Mapcode National: GBR QT8.LKD
Mapcode Global: VHJMN.MQG8
Entry Name: East Sutton Park
Listing Date: 18 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1084345
English Heritage Legacy ID: 174073
Location: East Sutton, Maidstone, Kent, ME17
Civil Parish: East Sutton
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 828 495
5/56 East Sutton Park
Country house, now prison and borstal. Circa 1570, with
C18 addition. Mid C19 (probably late 1830s) alterations and
extensions by C.J. Richardson (J. Newman, Buildings of England
Series, West Kent and the Weald, 1980). Restored 1980s. Red
brick in English bond with plain tile roof. H-plan with
further long wing projecting forwards to right, touching main
range only at corner. 2 storeys, attics and basement on
coursed galletted stone plinth. Moulded strong course
returning along right wing. Brick-coped gable and parapet
to each short projecting bay of south front and to central
projecting 2-storey porch, with cut brick finial to each gable.
3 gables with kneelers and intermediate gables to west front,
and one gable to south end, of long right wing, also with cut
brick finials. All gables and finials rebuilt in 1980s.
Various groups of corbelled brick stacks, some with fillets,
some octagonal. Regular fenestration of C19 and C20 mullioned
and transomed windows; 3-light ovolo-moulded mullioned window
to each gable, except 2-light to porch; 6-light mullioned and
transomed window to each outer bay; one cross window to
porch and one flanking it each side. 6 cross windows to west
front of long right wing. Half-glazed door to porch, up 3
steps, with C19 panelled architrave. Early C17 castellated
rainwater heads. C18 two-storey canted bay to left in similar
style but in chequered red and grey brick. Mid C19 additions
to rear and service ranges to east, also in similar style.
Interior: Hall screen with giant pilasters and enriched
frieze, dated 1570. Four-centred arched C16 moulded stone
fireplace to hall with carved spandrels, and wooden overmantel
incorporating date 1837. Similar C16 fireplace in room to left
(west) of hall. C19 work includes ceiling, screen, doorcase
and fireplaces in Music Room, plaster ceiling and stone
fireplace to Dining Room, fireplace and overmantel to staircase
room, staircase, and armorial glass in stair window. Owned
1629-1653 by Sir Robert Filmer, author of "Patriarcha".
(Country Life, May 12th 1906. Collective authorship, A
Topography of Maidstone and its Environs, 1839.)
Listing NGR: TQ8297348410
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings