This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1358 / 51°8'8"N
Longitude: 0.4408 / 0°26'26"E
OS Eastings: 570860
OS Northings: 140226
OS Grid: TQ708402
Mapcode National: GBR NRB.Q8G
Mapcode Global: VHJMY.LQD4
Entry Name: Weavers
Listing Date: 20 October 1954
Last Amended: 10 October 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1084559
English Heritage Legacy ID: 169868
Location: Horsmonden, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN12
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Horsmonden
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Horsmonden St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
HORSMONDEN GOUDHURST ROAD
(formerly listed as The
House. C15, altered C16 and C17. Timber framed and exposed close studding and small
panel frame with plaster infill, left return weather boarded. Plain tiled roof.
Wealden hall house plan in origin. Two storeys and attic on plinth with jetty on
brackets to left end bay and jettied end post and beam to end right, the storeyed
bay at this end removed. Recessed 2 hall bays with eaves carried on raking braces.
Stacks to end right (rebuilt C20 in earlier outshot), to rear left and clustered to
centre left. Projecting gable to left with moulded bargeboards and pendant, with 3
light mullioned window in gable head, 4 light oriel on brackets on first floor and
canted brick bay on ground floor with 4 light nullioned and transomed windows.
Three light nullioned window to centre on first floor and 3 light oriel to right on
scrolled bracket and 4 light ovolo moulded mullioned window to right on ground
floor with C20 plank and stud door in four centred arched doorway with sunk
spandrels. Catslide outshot to rear. Interior: roof altered but crown post truss
remains in west wall. Hall ceiled over C16, with fine moulded beams and moulded
chimney bresummer to moulded red brick and sandstone fireplace. Plank and muntin
partition with wave and fillet moulded dais beam survives from C15 at west end of
hall, indicating that the lost west end of the house was the original parlour end,
the present external frame of the west wall C17 in character and unrelated to the
internal partition. Internal plaster of hall walls with simple pargetted pattern. The
outshot, probably C17/C18, has a much lower floor level than the main range, with
exposed mullioned window in main rear wall, and framed gallery projecting into
outshot, made up at indeterminate date of old timbers. Cellar below end right bay.
(See E. Mercer, English Vernacular Houses, p.175.)
Listing NGR: TQ7086040226
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings