This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1903 / 51°11'25"N
Longitude: 1.1738 / 1°10'25"E
OS Eastings: 621868
OS Northings: 148244
OS Grid: TR218482
Mapcode National: GBR W0P.9L5
Mapcode Global: VHLH2.9BDV
Entry Name: Broome Park Hotel
Listing Date: 29 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1084927
English Heritage Legacy ID: 170898
Location: Barham, Canterbury, Kent, CT4
Civil Parish: Barham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5273 BARHAM CANTERBURY ROAD
Broome Park Hotel
TR 24 NW 18/22 29.9.52
This mansion was built by Sir Basil Dixwell between 1635 and 1638 and belonged
to the Dixwell family until 1750, when it passed to the Oxenden family. It
was altered and enlarged by Sir Henry Oxenden in 1778. In 1911 it was sold
by the Oxenden family to Field Marshal the Earl Kitchener who owned it until
his death in 1916. He made considerable alterations to the house, rejacobeanising
some of the portions altered by Sir Henry Oxenden. The house is one of the
finest mansions in England built during the reign of Charles I. Originally
H-shaped with 3 storeys and cellars in red brick with tiled roof. The entrance
front faces north-east and is still half H-shaped. The centre portion has
5 window bays, each flanked by pilasters rising through the ground and first
floors. Cornice above 1st floor, the pilasters being continued above this.
Five shaped Dutch gables, 4 of them small with triangular pediments and diamond-shaped
openings but the centre one larger with a curved pediment above, the window
below the gable also having a broken pediment over it and round-headed niche
above. Central porch, added by Lord Kitchener in the place of the Georgian
one which had replaced the original. This has a stone doorway up four steps
with engaged Corinthian columns, an elaborate keystone, a pediment and elaborate
carved double doors of six panels with an elaborate knocker. The projecting
wings are flanked by double pilasters on both their end and inner faces and
have one window and one gable each, the end gables flanked by scrolls, the
inner surmounted by octagonal chimney stacks with elaborate tops, the gables
being linked by a panelled parapet. Casement windows of 3 lights with stone
mullions and transoms, the first floor windows having two tiers of lights and
the ground floor windows three tiers of lights. The south-east front has 5
windows, the centre window being very narrow. The facade itself and each window
bay is flanked by pilasters. Three gables over, the centre one flanked by
scrolls and surmounted by triangular pediments. The south-west or main garden
front has 11 windows. It was originaally half E-shaped, but in 1778 Sir Henry
Oxenden added a 3rd projecting wing in Georgian style in the centre, which
Lord Kitohener jacobeanised in 1911. The central projection is flanked by
pilasters with a tall and elaborate dutch gable over flanked by scrolls. In
front of this on the ground and first floors is a splayed bay of three windows
added by Lord Kitchener in place of Sir Henry 0xenden's curved bay, the centre
side being flanked by pilasters. At each end is a smaller similar gable with
an oval opening and a smaller similar bay below. Between each of these bays
and the central projection is one flush window flanked by pilasters with a
triangular gable over, containing a diamond-shaped opening. The north-westernmost
of these bays is a single window of four tiers of four lights rising through
the ground and first floors. This lights the staircase. The north-west front
is similar to that of south-east, plus a central doorway in brick architrave
surround with a pediment and an elaborate carved door.
The interior has an Elizabethan staircase brought by Lord Kitchener from a
house in Essex, a pseudo Elizabethan hall with chimney pieces copied from Hatfield,
and a Georgian drawing room in the wing added by Sir Henry Oxenden in 1778
which was probably designed by James Gandon.
(Country Life articles Volume 22, page 18 and Volume 86, page 494).
Listing NGR: TR2186848244
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings