This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2797 / 51°16'46"N
Longitude: 1.0793 / 1°4'45"E
OS Eastings: 614849
OS Northings: 157895
OS Grid: TR148578
Mapcode National: GBR TY2.PPK
Mapcode Global: VHLGM.N3FB
Entry Name: Public Library and Museum at Beaney Institute
Listing Date: 7 September 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085027
English Heritage Legacy ID: 170643
Location: Canterbury, Kent, CT1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Canterbury
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
944 HIGH STREET
(North East Side)
Public Library & Museum
TR 1457 NE 4/507 at Beaney Institute
Built in 1897 by A H Campbell. 2 storeys and basement. Stone plinth. Brick
ground floor and timber-framed 1st floor with mosaic infilling. Tiled roof
with large brick stack. 3 gables with elaborately carved bargeboards and
central finial surmounted by weather vane. In the central gable are 2 stone
putti supporting the legend "The Beaney Institute for the education of working
men. Public Library and Museum". Curved braces and quatrefoil ornaments.
Fine curved brackets support tile gable. The lst floor has 2 elaborate mullioned
and transomed windows with leaded lights and a central oriel. Ground floor
has 2 double segmental arched mullioned and transomed windows with terra
cotta roundels of female figures representing Art and Science. Central doorcase
has a penance tiled roof with elaborate carved cornice and brackets. Curved
stone balustrade and steps. Beautifully decorated rainwater head.
The Public Library and Museum at Beaney Institute, Nos 20, 20A, 21, 24
& King's Bridge form a group.
Listing NGR: TR1486257898
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings