This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2561 / 51°15'22"N
Longitude: 1.0098 / 1°0'35"E
OS Eastings: 610111
OS Northings: 155079
OS Grid: TR101550
Mapcode National: GBR SX1.44B
Mapcode Global: VHKK4.GP5D
Entry Name: Oast and Stables at Deanery Farm
Listing Date: 25 July 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085441
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171630
Location: Chartham, Canterbury, Kent, CT4
Civil Parish: Chartham
Built-Up Area: Shalmsford Street
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
The following building shall be included in the list:
TR 1055 BOLTS HILL
29/741 Oast and Stables
at Deanery Farm
Oasthouse and Stables C1500 altered in early C19. North west part
c.1500. Red brick with blue headers and clay tiled roof. North east
front has base of red brick in English bond with caen stone quoins, the
top redone in Flemish bond in the early C19. 3 circular window openings,
1 cambered doorcase and double door. 1 original loop light near ground
floor. 1 cross-shaped and 3 circular iron ties. North West elevation is
similar with gable end and 3 circular iron ties. South west elevation has
Cl500 diaper brick work with blue headers in English bond. 1 C19 fixed
casement, 1 casement with cambered head stable door and dovecot. The
interior of this section has 3 axial beams with run out stops, cobbed
floor and early C19 roof structure and hop press. Attached to the south
west is a section of C16 walling almost 8 feet high and 24 metres long in
English bond containing 1 blocked opening with 4 central arch and caen
stone quoins at southern end. Attached to the south east is a C1900
single storey stable block addition not of special interest.
This building is part of the Deanery complex and was probably part of the
Priors Great stable and various lodgings. [Articles in Arch. Cont. Vol.
LXXXIX (1974) PP 169-182 by M J Sparks & E W Parkin & Vol. XCIX (1983) pp
124 - 125 by Tim Tattan Brown.
Listing NGR: TR1011155079
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings