This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3242 / 51°19'27"N
Longitude: 0.6493 / 0°38'57"E
OS Eastings: 584685
OS Northings: 161676
OS Grid: TQ846616
Mapcode National: GBR QRY.WH0
Mapcode Global: VHJM3.6ZL7
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 26 April 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086193
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173667
Location: Stockbury, Maidstone, Kent, ME9
Civil Parish: Stockbury
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 86 SW STOCKBURY CHURCH LANE
2/161 Church of St. Mary
Parish Church. Late C12, C13, C15, east half restored after 1836,
nave restored 1851 - 2 by R.C. Hussey. Flint with stone dressings
and plain tile roof. West tower, nave, south porch, south
transept, chancel, north transept, north porch. Aisles roofed
as lean-tos. West tower at an angle to nave. C15. 2 stages on
plinth with gargoyles and battlemanted parapet, top reconstructed
by Hussey. Original circular stair turret to south-east corner
with small 2-centred arched door with hood-mould and hollow chamfer,
at base. C19 circular turret to north side. Early Perpendicular
west window. Large weathervane on SE stair turret decorated with
date 1676. South aisle wall and south porch by Hussey. South
transept: Plinthless. 2 restored lancets to east wall. Chancel:
Circa 1200. Lower than nave. Plinthless. 2 large restored lancets,
with hood-moulds terminating in curved stiff-leaf, to south wall
and 2 to north wall. East end C19. North transept: plinthless.
2 unrestored lancets to east wall. Large Perpendicular north
window, part restored, said to have been east-window of chancel.
North aisle: late C12 origin. Plinth. Octagonal rood-loft stair
turret with restored battlemented parapet at east end. 2 restored
Perpendicular windows. North porch: now vestry. On plinth, with
buttresses. Moulded doorway with hoodmould, and square panel with
quatrefoil and escutcheon above it. C19 octagonal stone chimney
on rectangular flint base at junction with aisle. Interior:
Structure: 4-bay nave with blocked round-headed clerestory windows.
All but west pier on either side rebuilt in C19. North-west pier
has original waterleaf capital and bell base. South-west pier has
Perpendicular capital and bell base is similar to north-west pier.
4-bay arcaded chancel, 2 west bays open to transepts. North
arcade and east half of south arcade have slender detached
Purbeck marble shafts with waterleaf bases and delicate stiff-
leaf capitals, with square moulded abaci bearing arches with
hollow chamfers and deep roll mouldings. Several restored. East,
central and west pier of arcade crossing south transept much
larger, of ordinary stone, central and west piers with highly
elaborate sprayed stiff-leaf capitals. C19 chancel arch.
Arch between south transept and south aisle has partly restored
columns with stiff-leaf capitals and waterleaf bases. Part of
much larger round-headed arch with plain impost, extending beyond
line of south aisle,embedded in west wall of south transept.
Fragements of early medieval window jambs in south wall. Triple
lancets to east wall with worn keel moulding; central lancet,
blocked, with Early English shafts, removed from chancel.
Plain corbelled imposts to north transept lancets. North-west
corner of north transept contains jamb with hollow chamfer with
stiff-leaf chamfer-stop to top and eight-petalled flowers, made
from stones found in south aisle wall. Roof: nave roof of 5 moulded
crown-posts on moulded cambered tie-beams. Moulded cornice and braced
pendant posts. South transept with 2 octagonal moulded crown-
posts on moulded tie-beams. Ashlar pieces and moulded cornice
to east side. Rest ceiled or C19. Fittings: remains of
Perpendicular traceried screens between chancel and transepts.
Compelte possibly medieval grisaille glass in north-east
lancet of north transept. Piscina in south wall of chancel with
delicate minature attached columns with stiff-leaf capitals
and water-leaf bases and restored trefoil head. C17 ogee wooden
font cover. Monuments: 2 brasses on chancel floor; on north side
to Dorothy Hooper, d. 1648; on south side to John Hooper d.
1617. (Archaeologia Cantiana, Notes and Queries, "XIX" Century
Restorations at Stockbury Church", Vol. 25, 1902.).
Listing NGR: TQ8452061692
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings