This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.263 / 51°15'46"N
Longitude: 0.5898 / 0°35'23"E
OS Eastings: 580784
OS Northings: 154721
OS Grid: TQ807547
Mapcode National: GBR PR9.RYH
Mapcode Global: VHJMG.5JN5
Entry Name: Milgate House, Tudor Milgate and Brewers House.
Listing Date: 26 April 1968
Last Amended: 20 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086203
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173698
Location: Thurnham, Maidstone, Kent, ME14
Civil Parish: Thurnham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 85 SW THURNHAM ASHFORD ROAD
9/189 Milgate House, Tudor
Milgate and Brewers
26.4.68 House. (formerly
listed as Milgate Park)
House. Front range early C18 with mid C18 addition, rear court-
yard wings mid-to-late C16 with late C17 or early C18 alterations
which are possibly of 2 periods. Front range (north): reddish-
grey brick in Flemish bond with red brick dressings; chequered
red and grey brick to return elevations. Plain tile roof. 2
storeys and attics on short stone plinth. Wood modillion eaves
cornice. Grey brick parapet with recessed red brick panels
over windows. Hipped roof returning along side elevations,'
4 panelled rear brick stacks. 2 dormers with segmental pediments,
Slight central projection- with triangular pediment over con-
taining red brick-dressed keyed oeil-de-boeuf. Regular 7-
window front of tall glazing-bar sashes, central 3 in projection.
Central first-floor window set in broad red brick panel and has
segmental head. All windows have gauged red brick voussoirs
with triple keyblocks and recessed panels below. Panels of
first-floor windows have very thin moulded red brick cills.
Red brick chainage between ground and first-floor windows and
red brick dressings to corners of building.Central wooden door-
case with fluted Corinthian pilasters carrying entablature
with foliated frieze bearing intertwined initials WC. Flat
corniced hood on scrolled brackets over. Left return elevation:
regular four-window front in chequered red and grey brick in same
style as front elevation. Mid C18 canted bay added to right
gable end, Straight front elevation in red brick, canted end
in chequered red and grey brick. 2 storeys on low stone plinth
with wood modillion eaves cornice matching rest of front
elevation, and parapet with hint of castellation at corners.
'Windows in canted end only, as those of early C18 but without
keystones and chainage. First floor windows have blind cases.
Rear right-hand wing (west): recessed from original gable end of
front block. Originally possibly partly timber-framed; ground
floor red brick in English bond with traces of diapering, first
floor probably late C17, lightly chequered red and grey brick
in Flemish bond. Plain tile roof. 2 lower storeys and attics
on higher stone plinth with brick coping. Plat band and scrolled
wood modillion eaves cornice. Ridge stack towards centre. Very
large projecting stack towards right end, on stone plinth, brick
above in English bond with diapering, corniced towards top with
4 flues with flat and diamond fillets and circular brick posts.
2 hipped dormers. Regular 6-window front of glazing bar sashes
with rubbed brick voussoirs and blind cases. French windows to
ground floor. Rear left-hand wing (east): recessed from and
lower than front range of Milgate House. Has partly timber-framed
core of mid-to-late C16 with late C17 or very early C18 facade of
chequered red and grey brick with plain tile roof.
2 storeys and attics on plinth with moulded stone coping. Plat
band. Wood modillion eaves cornice projecting over first-floor
windows, with small scrolled modillionsgrouped in 3s in gaps
between windows. Regular 6-window front of glazing-bar sashes
with thick glazing bars and rubbed brick heads. 2 hipped dormers
towards centre. Thin brick ridge stack towards left end. Large
stack at right end shared with front range. Single storey C19
pentice projecting from front at left end. Rear range of
courtyard (south elevation): possibly has partly timber-framed
mid-to-late C16 core, largely re-faced in 2 periods in late C17
or very early C18. Left one third in similar materials to west
elevation, right two thirds in similar materials to east
elevation, with straight joint between the two. Cornice of east
elevation continued across whole of south elevation. 2 storeys
and attics. Roof hipped both ends to continue along side
elevations. Stack in front slope of roof to right of centre.
Rectangular wooden louvre on ridge to left of centre. 3 hipped
dormers. Regular 7-window front of 4 C19 sashes without glazing-
bars, and 3 glazing-bar sashes, one beneath stack very narrow.
Ground floor of left one third has two 4-light ovolo-moulded
mullion windows with continuous hood-mould over. Right end of
elevation has two 8-light mullioned and transomed windows,
mullions with plain chamfers to outside and mixture of plain
and ovolo to interior. C20 panelled door to right of straight
joint and heavy panelled possibly C18 door now in C19 single-
storey pentice rebuilt in C20 at right gable end. Interior:
Front range has tall entrance hall with fielded panelling. Well
staircase with fielded panelling, ramped with fluted Corinthian
pilasters against wall. Small finely-carved open string balusters,
3 to tread, twisted fluted, straight fluted and corkscrew in
sequence, with moulded hand rail and scrolled cheeks. Marketry
to half-landings. Ceiling and part of walls of stairwell painted
with mythological scenes, attributed to Lanscroon. Ground-floor
room to right of hall has fielded panelling, moulded cornice,
and finely-carved fireplace surround. Ground-floor room to left
of hall retains deep early C18 cornice, fielded panelling with
bolection moulded surrounds and fireplace flanked from floor to
ceiling by fluted Corinthian pilasters with moulded abaci.
Room behind this has similar panelling and cornice, and fireplace
flanked by equally imposing fluted pilasters with capitals
in a Doric style. First floor rooms have plain fielded panelling
and moulded cornices. West wing and west end of south range: has
massive fireplace in south-west ground-floor room. Moulded beam.
Door into same room with moulded jambs and vase stops. Raised
and fielded panelling and moulded dado rails in first-floor
rooms. Rooms to north have assortment of C17 panelling. First-
floor corridor in west wing, next to courtyard, has internal
studded wall, possibly of late C16. Staggered butt purlin
roof. East wing and east two thirds of south range. Wall-post
in west wall of east wing on first floor. Moulded beams to
ground floor and door similar to that in west wing. First floor
rooms have moulded cornices, raised and fielded panelling and
moulded dado rail, some replaced. Staggered butt purlin roof.
Late C16 house probably largely the work of Sir Thomas Fludd,
d. 1607. Front range built for William Cage, Sheriff of
Kent, 1695, M.P. for Rochester 1702, 1710 and 1713. Brickwork
of similar character to that of Larkfield at Bradbourne
(1713 - 15) Late C17 and early C18 refacing probably also for
William Cage. Extension to right probably for Lewis Cage
c. 1760. (Royal Commission on Historical Monuments report,
unpublished, April 1977. J. Newman, West Kent and the Weald
Listing NGR: TQ8091654940
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings