This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2944 / 51°17'39"N
Longitude: 0.5688 / 0°34'7"E
OS Eastings: 579196
OS Northings: 158159
OS Grid: TQ791581
Mapcode National: GBR PQX.SR9
Mapcode Global: VHJM7.TQ1M
Plus Code: 9F327HV9+PG
Entry Name: Church of St Martin of Tours
Listing Date: 26 April 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086225
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173649
Location: Detling, Maidstone, Kent, ME14
Civil Parish: Detling
Built-Up Area: Detling
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 75 NE DETLING THE STREET
5/141 Church of St. Martin
26.4.68 of Tours
Parish Church. C 1100 C 13 and C 15
restored in late C19. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel,
north chapel, north aisle. West tower: in 2 stages. Galletted
ragstone on plinth with diagonal buttresses. Shingled broach
spire 1861 by R.C. Hussey. Single-light restored bell-chamber
windows. Tall C19 3-light window over small arched Perpendicular
west door, both with hood-moulds. Nave: early Norman. Flint
with tufa quoins and plain tile roof. No plinth. 2-light
Perpendicular window to right of porch. Porch: Perpendicular.
Ragstone with plain tile roof. Moulded outer doorway. 2-centred
arched door into church with cusped niche over. Chancel: early
Norman. Flint, with tufa quoins to south-west corner,plain tile
roof, no plinth. 3-light Perpendicular south and east windows.
Roof partly overlaps that of nave. North Chapel: Perpendicular.
Ragstone, on plinth, plain tile roof and diagonal buttresses.
Independently roofed. Restored 2-light Perpendicular north window.
North aisle: Early English, enlarged in 1887. Flint, with most of
west wall in ragstone, and plain tile roof. On plinth.
Roofed at higher level than chapel. 2-centred arched doorhead in
west wall. Interior: 2-bay Early English arcade to aisle with
wide plain arches springing from moulded imposts. Single-bay
Perpendicular arcade between chapel and chancel. Original roof
over chapel of common rafters with sous-laces and ashlar-pieces.
Rest C19, that to aisle with members forming smooth semi-circular
barrel vault. Traces of early window in south wall of nave.
Fittings: Early, plain 12-sided stone font C20 base. Mid C14
wooden lectern, probably made for Boxley Abbey. 4 faces of head
carved with pierced roundels, of quatrefoils, mouchettes and trefoils.
Corner-pieces delicately carved with small animals, vines and
an angel. Borders of small flowers and faces. Tenon for
statuette above, and panelled octagonal stem with large, intricately
carved buttressed foot. One of the finest and oldest remaining
in England. (J. Newman, North East and East Kent, 19) Monuments:
on south wall of north aisle; part of monumental stone tomb slab
with figure of priest carved in relief. On south wall of chancel;
monument to Mary Foote, died 1778. Delicately carved Strawberry
Hill Gothic. Low panelled tomb chest under triple ogee canopy.
Listing NGR: TQ7932458331
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings