This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2743 / 51°16'27"N
Longitude: 0.5194 / 0°31'9"E
OS Eastings: 575830
OS Northings: 155804
OS Grid: TQ758558
Mapcode National: GBR PR7.04N
Mapcode Global: VHJMD.Y7GH
Plus Code: 9F327GF9+PQ
Entry Name: The Corpus Christi Hall
Listing Date: 30 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086371
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173295
Location: Maidstone, Kent, ME14
Electoral Ward/Division: High Street
Built-Up Area: Maidstone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
The Corpus Christi Hall
TQ 7555 NE 1/100 30.7.51.
The Guild or Fraternity of Corpus Christi was founded in Maidstone about 1422.
It had the use of a chantry chapel in the north chancel of All Saints Church
and consisted of 2 wardens, 4 chaplains and a number of churchmen, gentry
and towmmen. The building consisted originally of a Hall, Refectory, Chapel
and Cloisters. After the Suppression of the Fraternity, Protector Somerset
gave the building to the town of Maidstone for a Grammar School, founded in
1549 and it remained in use as such until 1871. Only the Refectory remains.
An L-shaped C15 building. 2 storey and attics stone rubble. Tiled roof.
The main front faces east. 2 hipped dormers. 2 pointed windows containing
cinquefoil-headed lights with a quatrefoil over, stone mullions and transom.
The outer windows are modern. The gable end facing Earl Street is timbered
with red brick infilling. The west wing is of stone rubble on the ground floor
and imitation timbering above. 2 square-headed windows contains 3 cinquefoil-headed
lights with dripstones over. The interior has 2 crown posts with chamfered
tie beams. Screens passage with 5 stone arches. Also traces of a wooden partition
which originally divided the hall into 2. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: TQ7583055804
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings