This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3436 / 54°20'37"N
Longitude: -3.3855 / 3°23'7"W
OS Eastings: 310026
OS Northings: 495116
OS Grid: SD100951
Mapcode National: GBR 4LS6.VP
Mapcode Global: WH71F.Z20X
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 8 September 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086644
English Heritage Legacy ID: 76290
Location: Waberthwaite, Copeland, Cumbria, LA19
Civil Parish: Waberthwaite
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Waberthwaite St John
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 19 NW WABERTHWAITE HALL WABERTHWAITE
18/92 Church of St John
Parish Church. Probably C13 foundation with later additions and alterations.
Wet-dashed rubble. Graduated slate roof with stone copings; gabled bellcote
added at west end in 1796. Single-cell plan. Gabled south porch (rebuilt 1825)
has internal stone benches and plank inner door. All windows multi-light,
stone-mullioned, of various dates. Interior was flagged, pewed, and ceiled in
1807. Octagonal wooden pulpit has carved decoration with initialled and dated
inscription: THE GIFT OF ABRAHAM CHAMBERS GENT. VAE MIHI SI NON VERUM PRAEDICO
S R 1630 (sic). Monolithic stone font at west end, probably medieval, is square
in plan on chamfered plinth with stop-chamfered corners. Above door is panel
showing George III coat-of-arms, dated 1778.
Listing NGR: SD1002695116
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings