This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4808 / 54°28'50"N
Longitude: -3.5276 / 3°31'39"W
OS Eastings: 301124
OS Northings: 510568
OS Grid: NY011105
Mapcode National: GBR 3JTM.2J
Mapcode Global: WH5ZG.SMDT
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Michael
Listing Date: 9 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086711
English Heritage Legacy ID: 76139
Location: Egremont, Copeland, Cumbria, CA22
Civil Parish: Egremont
Built-Up Area: Egremont
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Egremont
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 01 SW (INSET) EGREMONT SOUTH STREET (East
9/43 Church of St Mary
9.3.67 & St Michael
Parish Church. 1881 by T. Lewis Banks (London and Whitehaven) replacing late
C12 church, parts of which were incorporated. Western baptistry gift of local
Freemasons 1883. Tower raised in 1901 by Oliver & Dodgshun (Carlisle).
Hammer-dressed, snecked, sandstone blocks with quoins; moulded plinth, strings,
eaves cornice, and pilaster buttresses. Graduated slate roofs with outshuts to
either side of chancel; stone copings, kneelers, and apex crosses. Embattled
tower to north-west corner, nave with aisles, short transept, and chancel.
Early English style. 4-stage tower has panelled door to ground floor; pointed
arch-head of 4 orders with foliate capitals to jamb-shafts. Similar 2-order
door in gabled porch on south side. Lancet windows, some in chancel and north
nave aisle re-used late C12; corbels of similar date to north aisle. Interior:
Pointed arches throughout; 5-bay nave arcade carried on columns with foliate
capitals. Nave roof carried on corbels. Transept arms separated from nave by
2-bay arcade carried on tall quatrefoil pier. 2-seater sedilia, pillar piscina,
and shelf, under wall arcade in chancel. Late C19 fittings. Pulpit of Caen
stone with alabaster figures, supported on marble shafts. Kneeling angel
supports scalloped font bowl. Drawings and description of earlier church by T.
Lewis Banks in C.W.A.A. Transactions, Old Series, Vol. 6, pp163-175.
Listing NGR: NY0112410568
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings