History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Arlecdon, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5651 / 54°33'54"N

Longitude: -3.4674 / 3°28'2"W

OS Eastings: 305220

OS Northings: 519864

OS Grid: NY052198

Mapcode National: GBR 4H7N.39

Mapcode Global: WH5Z3.QJ25

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 9 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086721

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76097

Location: Arlecdon and Frizington, Copeland, Cumbria, CA14

County: Cumbria

District: Copeland

Civil Parish: Arlecdon and Frizington

Built-Up Area: Arlecdon

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Arlecdon St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Ullock

Listing Text

NY 01 NE ARLECDON & FRIZINGTON


6/2 Church of St Michael

G.V. II

Parish Church, founded C12. Restored 1776; nave rebuilt 1829. Remodelled, and
tower added, c1904 (date on rainwater heads). East end and north side of
chancel ashlar on plinth, rest rough-dressed snecked rubble. Stepped
buttressing to tower; blocking courses to nave and chancel (castellated in
part). Graduated slate roofs with stone coping and apex cross to east end.
West tower with baptistry, nave, chancel, and north chapel. 3-stage castellated
tower has perpendicular detailing, including traceried west window and paired
belfry openings. Polygonal baptistry on south side; 4-centred head to porch
door on right. 3 lancets with hoodmoulds to each side of nave. 3 stepped
lancets under continuous hoodmould to east end. Paired lancets to north
chapel. Interior: Plastered nave with painted frieze; king-post roof trusses
with Gothic panelling to sides. Pointed chancel arch c1630 rebuilt with parts
of original C12 arch visible. Narrow chancel has blocked (C17?) door on south
side. Painted, carved stone Gothic reredos. Painted, carved stone polygonal
pulpit. Font in babistry has large octagonal bowl dated 1578. C19 stained
glass in nave by various artists. Stained glass panels re-used in east windows
of various dates up to early C19, with some possibly C16.


Listing NGR: NY0522019864

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.