History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Well Head House, Well Head

A Grade II Listed Building in Urswick, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1521 / 54°9'7"N

Longitude: -3.1301 / 3°7'48"W

OS Eastings: 326288

OS Northings: 473514

OS Grid: SD262735

Mapcode National: GBR 6NLF.4B

Mapcode Global: WH72B.WWNS

Entry Name: Well Head House, Well Head

Listing Date: 25 March 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086803

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75889

Location: Urswick, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Urswick

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Urswick St Mary Virgin and St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Great Urswick

Listing Text

URSWICK GREAT URSWICK
SD 27 SE
Well Head House, Well Head
19/115
25.3.70
II


House, now subdivided. Lintel reads: "G 1/1658" later alterations. Roughcast
stone with slate roof. L-plan, 2 storeys with attic. South-east elevation
of 4 bays. Ground floor has 2 windows, single-chamfered-mullioned windows
of 2 lights with label moulds, the 2nd originally of 4 lights. 1st floor
has small square light; casement window, 2-light window and window in
chamfered opening. Lean-to porch. Gable-end stacks, that to left with
2 rounded shafts. C20 raking dormer. Right return has hipped roof with
gablet. North-east elevation has eaves to 3rd bay raised. Ground floor has
3-light window with dripstone; square window with label and window originally
of 4 lights, one blocked, mullion missing, under label; 1st floor has narrow
light and 3-light window, mullion missing, C20 flat-topped dormer. 3 windows
to north-west gable end and stack. North-west elevation has entrances with
chamfered reveals and dated lintel, 2-light window and blocked opening over.
Adjacent south-west elevation has 3-light window with label, 2-light window,
mullion missing, above and flat topped C20 dormer, entrance with label to
lintel. Interior altered but stop-chamfered beam remains, originally had
court cupboard dated 1688, now removed (1988).

Listing NGR: SD2628873514

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.