This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.2385 / 54°14'18"N
Longitude: -2.6114 / 2°36'41"W
OS Eastings: 360247
OS Northings: 482704
OS Grid: SD602827
Mapcode National: GBR BM6F.FC
Mapcode Global: WH94G.VQNK
Plus Code: 9C6V69QQ+9C
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 21 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086857
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75718
Location: Mansergh, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6
Civil Parish: Mansergh
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 68 SW MANSERGH CHAPEL LANE
16/139 (East side)
Church of St Peter
Church. 1880. By Paley and Austin. Dressed slate with ashlar dressings and
slate roof. Nave, west tower, chancel and north transept and vestry. Quoins.
Tower has large diagonal buttresses and south weathered stair turret;
2 dripcourses; cusped louvred bell openings with continuous label mould;
saddleback roof has coped gables to east and west, and embattled parapets and
spouts to north and south. 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery has
plaque below recording building of church, incorporating lead panel dated 1726.
North side has basement entrance and ogee-headed light; similar light to south.
3-bay nave has straight-headed windows of 2 and 3 lights with cusping. South
gabled porch of timber on stone base has moulded members, tracery panels and
moulded segmental-arched opening. 2-bay chancel has sill course and gable
cross. 2- and 1-light straight-headed windows with double cusped lights to
south. 4-light traceried east window, the sill course continuing above small
buttress to become label mould to vestry window of 4 lights with 3-centred
heads. Transept of 2 gabled bays; straight-headed traceried windows of
2 lights; rainwater head to valley gutter; cross-axial stack to east bay.
Vestry under swept catslide roof to east has entrance with 3-centred head.
Interior: Waggon roofs with moulded members. Tower arch has continuous double
chamfer; good stained glass to west window. Tapered octagonal font with roll
mouldings. Wall memorial to Christopher (died 1845) and Catherine (died 1851)
Wilson, richly ornamented Gothic form, with pinnacles and nodding ogee canopy.
Chancel arch as tower arch, arches to transept from nave and chancel die into
jambs. Chancel has ashlar facing below sill course and to whole of east wall.
Timber pulpit on stone base has moulded panels. Timber lectern and stalls have
blind and pierced tracery. Altar rails have turned balusters over middle
rails. Panelled recess under south window has 2 seats; north recess has moulded
sill and sunk ogee to head. Transept has valley on traceried arch braces. Good
C19 stained glass to north-west window. Entrance to vestry has sunk ogee and
tracery to lintel.
Listing NGR: SD6024782704
Other nearby listed buildings