History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Ghost

A Grade II Listed Building in Middleton, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.27 / 54°16'11"N

Longitude: -2.5803 / 2°34'48"W

OS Eastings: 362307

OS Northings: 486191

OS Grid: SD623861

Mapcode National: GBR BMF2.53

Mapcode Global: WH949.BXKY

Entry Name: Church of Holy Ghost

Listing Date: 21 February 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086865

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75733

Location: Middleton, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Middleton

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Old Hutton

Listing Text


SD 68 NW MIDDLETON A683
(West side)

13/153 Church of Holy Ghost

II

Church. 1878-9. By C.J. Ferguson. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and
slate roof with tile crest. Single vessel nave and chancel with small north
vestry. Coped gables with crosses, coping and weathered buttresses to wall
between nave and chancel, gabled bellcote has gabled buttresses and cinquefoil
bell opening. South facade has 4 straight-headed windows with tracery and label
moulds, that to eastern bay has 2 cusped panels beneath; 3-light window to 2nd
bay of nave has hoodmould and cusped lights. West end has 2-light window with
segmental-pointed head and hood. North facade has small gabled vestry with
2-light cross-mullioned window with cusped upper lights; lean-to porch to west,
the entrance with decorative sinking to lintel; adjoining buttress has light to
porch. Nave has 3-light window to eastern bay, as above, and 2 straight-headed
windows, as above to 2nd bay. Western bay has pointed entrance with continuous
moulding. East end has 3-light window, the central light large and
round-headed, probably designed to fit existing stained glass window. Interior:
Single-rafter roof has scissor and collar braces. Octagonal font with
quatrefoil panels and lettering, enriched flat cover. Western screen with
segmental central opening. Cusped lights and brattishing. Double-chamfered
chancel arch, the inner chamfer on corbels. Enriched timber pulpit and lectern
in C16 style. Tracery fronts to stalls. South seat recess between window.
Reredos in C16 style. North vestry door and wall memorial to Anne Moore (died
1772), fluted pilasters, frieze and broken pediment and apron. Late C19 stained
glass, east window has 3 lights dated 1862, the tracery lights later.


Listing NGR: SD6230786191

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.