This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3684 / 54°22'6"N
Longitude: -2.6501 / 2°39'0"W
OS Eastings: 357860
OS Northings: 497176
OS Grid: SD578971
Mapcode National: GBR 9KYX.1V
Mapcode Global: WH93W.8G9H
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 21 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086874
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75661
Location: Grayrigg, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA8
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Grayrigg
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Grayrigg
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 59 NE GRAYRIGG A685
7/79 Church of St John
Church. 1837 with tower of 1869. By George Webster. Stone rubble with
slobbered mortar, roughcast to south facade, ashlar dressings and slate roof;
tower of dressed stone and ashlar. Nave, west tower and east apse. 5-bay nave
has weathered buttresses and diagonal buttresses. Lancet windows have splayed
reveals. Gabled south porch has pointed entrance and datestone: 1837. Coped
gables with fleuron finials. Gabled apse has flanking lancets and 3 stepped
lancets. Tower has diagonal buttresses. 3 stepped lancets under hoodmould to
west face, with 2 lancets in 2-bay applied arcade above. Bell stage has sill
course to 2-light louvred plate-tracery bell openings with hoodmoulds and head
stops. String course with gargoyles and stepped embattled parapet. Interior:
ceiling has braced beams, pendants, and 3 traceried roses. Tower arch has
traceried glazed screen and flanking diagonal -buttresses; small octagonal font.
Windows to east end have hoods with head stops, apparently in form of plaster
casts of faces. Splayed arch to apse has roll moulding and shafts. East window
has stained glass dated 1892. Pulpit has open cusped arches.
Listing NGR: SD5786097176
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings