This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.2365 / 54°14'11"N
Longitude: -2.5684 / 2°34'6"W
OS Eastings: 363050
OS Northings: 482462
OS Grid: SD630824
Mapcode National: GBR BMHG.R2
Mapcode Global: WH94H.JS52
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 21 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086928
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75588
Location: Barbon, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Barbon
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 68 SW
BANNERIGGS BROW (North side)
Church of St Bartholomew
Church. 1893. By Paley and Austin. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and stone slate roofs. Nave, aisles, crossing tower, south transept, north organ loft and vestry, chancel. Free Perpendicular style. Coped gables; most lights have 3-centred cusped heads. 4-bay nave has 2-bay aisles to east end. West end has flat weathered buttresses flanking 3-light window. Straight-headed north and south windows of 2 and 3 lights; aisle returns have single lights. South porch is gabled; 3-centred arch with label mould and statue in niche above; single light to south. Tower has square south-east stair turret clasping angle; single light to west with clock face above. 2 ogee-headed lights to north; bell opening of 3 lights with louvres, impost course, embattled parapet with water spouts; pyramidal roof with tall cross Gabled organ loft has straight-headed 3-light north window; outshut under catslide roof to east has 2 straight-headed-windows of 3 lights and entrance with shouldered lintel. Transept has 2-light straight-headed traceried window and large weathered buttress to west. Chancel has 5-light east window and gable cross, 2-light window to south.
Interior: Porch has 2 pairs of doors. Nave has arch-braced double collar trusses and 2 tiers of wind braces. Octagonal stone font has buttresses and Tudor flower, and cover. Small font and cover, and royal arms of 1815 from church of 1814. 2-bay arcades have double-chamfered segmental arches dying into octagonal pier and responds. Simple pews with moulded muntins. Crossing arches die into octagonal piers. Chancel screen to west and parclose screens to north and south have tracery and cornice with brattishing. Arches between aisles and vestry and transept are hollow-chamfered with Tudor flower, that to vestry with screen. Transept has pews and tower entrance in projection. Pulpit is timber on stone base, pierced tracery and cornice; wood eagle lectern. Chancel has arch braced collar roof with struts and windbraces. Stalls have tracery panels. South recess below window and piscina with 3-centred head and lobed bowl. North entrance with tracery head. Early C18 altar rail with turned balusters and wood credence shelf on struts.
Listing NGR: SD6305082462
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings