History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Witherslack, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.2502 / 54°15'0"N

Longitude: -2.8736 / 2°52'25"W

OS Eastings: 343174

OS Northings: 484191

OS Grid: SD431841

Mapcode National: GBR 8MC9.N5

Mapcode Global: WH836.TFSK

Plus Code: 9C6V742G+3G

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 12 February 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087094

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77136

Location: Witherslack, Meathop and Ulpha, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA11

County: Cumbria

Civil Parish: Witherslack, Meathop and Ulpha

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Witherslack St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Bowland Bridge


SD 48 SW
(West side)
Church of St Paul

Church. 1664-71; heightened and vestry added 1768. For Peter Barwick with
money left by Dean John Barwick. Roughcast stone rubble with ashlar dressings
and slate roof. Single vessel nave and chancel, west tower, north vestry and
south porch. Slate slabs to base on south and east facades; modillioned cornice
to south facade. 4 straight-headed double-chamfered-mullioned windows to north
and south facades, of 3 lights, round-headed above and below transom, and with
label moulds, those parts above transoms inserted 1768. South facade has gabled
porch to west end, with coped gable and ball finial; round-headed entrance has
continuous moulding, hoodmould, and studded door with strap hinges, wooden lock,
and latch; similar entrance between 1st and 2nd windows has ogee-headed plaque
S PAUL'S/BUILT THIS CHAPPELL/A.D.1664". North facade has small pulpit window
between 2nd and 3rd windows, 2-light wooden mullioned frame with leaded glazing;
small gabled vestry to east end has pointed entrance to west and east window of
3 round-headed lights, leaded glazing with opening light. East facade has
segmental-headed window of 5 stepped lights, round-headed above and below
transom, hoodmould; ball finial to gable. West tower has stepped base and
projecting embattled parapet; window of 2 round-headed lights, leaded glazing
and opening light to west face, 2nd stage has similar single lights to west and
north, square clock face with single hand, 1731, to south; top stage has
openings of 2 round-headed lights with slate louvres, 2 rainwater heads to
west. Interior: coved ceiling has cornice and ceiling rose; Ionic screen of 2
columns and pilasters to east end. Entrance to tower baptistry has architrave,
frieze and modillioned cornice. Plain round font on square base. Late C17
pulpit with relief panels and C19 tester, reading desk made from similar panels;
taken from original 3-decker pulpit. Painted boards with Barwick and Derby
arms; Royal arms, 1710; board recording repairs, 1768. Pews and choir stalls
with relief panels and ball finials, 1880. Wood memorial to Ann Thornborrow,
1770, architrave, frieze and broken pediment. Geoffrey Stanley, infant died
1871, marble effigy of baby; alabaster memorial to Earl of Derby died 1908.
Arcaded altar rail and Jacobean-style reredos, 1880. Lords prayer, creed and
commandment boards. Memorial to Dean Barwick, latin inscription, 1664; family
of Rev J. Barwick, 1766. Painted glass to east window, attributed to Henry
Gyles of York, cherubs, Derby and Barwick arms, cross, nails and "IHS"
surrounded by rays with inscribed ribbands. A rare example of a church of this

Listing NGR: SD4317484191

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.