This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9456 / 51°56'44"N
Longitude: 0.4399 / 0°26'23"E
OS Eastings: 567793
OS Northings: 230269
OS Grid: TL677302
Mapcode National: GBR NFG.XR3
Mapcode Global: VHJJ2.KCXB
Entry Name: Great Bardfield Hall
Listing Date: 2 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087112
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115255
Location: Great Bardfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7
Civil Parish: Great Bardfield
Built-Up Area: Great Bardfield
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Bardfield St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 6730 GREAT BARDFIELD BRAINTREE ROAD
8/116 Great Bardfield Hall
House. C16, altered in C18/C19. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade
red clay tiles. Approximate H-plan facing S, comprising (1) at left end, a 3-
bay crosswing extending to the rear only (2) a 2-bay main range, this and the
crosswing jettied to the front (3) an unjettied 2-bay extension to the main
range (4) a 4-bay crosswing extending to front and rear, C18 external stack at
left end, C16 internal stack at junction of main range and right crosswing, C18
stack at rear end of right crosswing, with C18 single-storey extension beyond.
C17/C18 lean-to extension behind main range, enclosing stair. 2 storeys and
attics. Below jetty at left, one plain bracket and 2 late C19 splayed bays of
sashes of 2-4-2 lights. One early C19 sash of 20 lights, one C20 casement.
First floor, 4 early C19 sashes of 20 lights and one early C20 oriel. 3 C19
casements in gabled dormers. Roof of right crosswing hipped at front. The
interior has jowled posts, some exposed close studding, chamfered axial and
transverse beams with lamb's tongue stops, exposed plain joists of horizontal
section in rear bay of right crosswing. Mortises for removed diamond mullions
in left side of right crosswing. Crosswing has clasped purlin roof with arched
wind bracing. Right section of main range has clasped purlin roof without wind
bracing. The owner reports high ground-floor windows with ovolo mullions on
each side of the splayed bays, now covered by lath and plaster externally and
internally. This manor house, situated near the church, exhibits an unusual and
complicated development, all apparently within the C16. It was replaced as the
seat of the manor by Great Lodge from 1621, but may have become the manor again
when Great Lodge was demolished c.1729. RCHM 2.
Listing NGR: TL6779330269
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings