This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.3688 / 54°22'7"N
Longitude: -3.0751 / 3°4'30"W
OS Eastings: 330250
OS Northings: 497569
OS Grid: SD302975
Mapcode National: GBR 6KZX.1N
Mapcode Global: WH71D.QGW3
Plus Code: 9C6R9W9F+GX
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 25 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087244
English Heritage Legacy ID: 76783
Location: Coniston, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA21
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Coniston
Built-Up Area: Coniston
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Coniston and Torver
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 39 NW
Church of St Andrew
Church. 1819. Chancel, vestry, organ loft and porches, 1891 by J. Matson.
Slate with ashlar dressings, slate roof. Nave with west tower, chancel with
north vestry and south organ loft. 4-bay nave has coped gables. Elliptical-
headed windows with hoodmoulds and 2-light timber frames with leaded glazing.
Tower has west lancet with hoodmould; string course, and paired stone-louvred
bell openings with no dressings, with 3-face clock below; top cornice and
embattled parapet. Flanking porches have embattled parapets; entrances have
4-centred heads and 2-light square-headed windows; cast iron rainwater heads.
Chancel, vestry and organ loft have weathered bases, coped gables and quoins.
Chancel has 5-light window with Perpendicular tracery on sill band, and single
traceried light to south. Vestry is roughcast with lateral stack and 2-light
north window with transom; west entrance. Organ loft has 3-light window with
Perpendicular tracery. Interior: King and queen post trusses with decorative
bracing and tracery. West gallery of 1891 has turned posts, false 4-centred
arches, balustrade with deep cornice and early C19 painted royal arms.
Baptistry under tower has stained glass window by Kempe, 1893; alabaster
octagonal font. Chancel arch has roll mould. Chancel has arches to vestry and
organ loft and panelled east wall and reredos with blind tracery.
Listing NGR: SD3025097569
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings