This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.3517 / 54°21'6"N
Longitude: -2.9706 / 2°58'14"W
OS Eastings: 337009
OS Northings: 495563
OS Grid: SD370955
Mapcode National: GBR 7LP3.NT
Mapcode Global: WH82L.BWN9
Entry Name: Hill Top
Listing Date: 25 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087304
English Heritage Legacy ID: 76724
Location: Claife, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA22
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Claife
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Sawrey St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
CLAIFE B5285 (South side)
SD 39 NE
6/49 Hill Top
House, now museum, with farmhouse attached. C17 or early C18 with mid to late
C18 alterations and 1906 addition for Beatrix Potter. Roughcast stone with
slate roof. 2 storeys, 4 bays, the 1st bay projects under gable with pentice
over ground floor and datestone reading: "1906/HBP". Windows are sashed with
glazing bars, those to 1st bay and 1st floor of 2nd bay have horns. Plain
entrance to 1st bay; entrance to 3rd bay has gabled slate slab porch and
6-fielded-panel door. Cross-axial stack and gable-end stack. Right return has
small casement window. Rear has projecting stair wing with gabled projecting
wing to right. Stair window has wooden cross-casement with leaded glazing tied
back to iron bars. Gable-end stack to stair wing. Interior: Hall has
panelling and fielded-panelled cupboard doors. Fireplace has C19 range.
Parlour has C18 panelling with fluted flat pilasters and bed cupboard and
pantry. Early C19 white and coloured marble fireplace. Staircase has column
balusters, fluted square newels and ramped handrail. 1st floor has wide-board
door; fireplace inscribed: "WHB/1934", C17 stone fireplace. C17 back stair.
Hill Top was bought by Beatrix Potter in 1906 and was used by her as an
occasional retreat and for her writing. She illustrated the house in many of
her books, principally 'The Tale of Tom Kitten', 1907, 'The Tale of Samuel
Whiskers', 1908, and 'The Tale of Jemima Puddleduck', 1908. She left the farm
to The National Trust.
Listing NGR: SD3700995563
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings