History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

King Garth and Stables Ny 355598

A Grade II Listed Building in Kingmoor, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9291 / 54°55'44"N

Longitude: -3.0077 / 3°0'27"W

OS Eastings: 335523

OS Northings: 559849

OS Grid: NY355598

Mapcode National: GBR 7CFF.NV

Mapcode Global: WH7ZV.RCYL

Entry Name: King Garth and Stables Ny 355598

Listing Date: 19 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087415

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78357

Location: Kingmoor, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Kingmoor

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Rockcliffe St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Rockcliffe

Listing Text

NY 35 NE KINGMOOR Cargo


6/170 King Garth and
stables
NY 355598
II

Bailiff's house and stables now Boathouse. 1733 for Carlisle Corporation, mid
and late C18 extensions. Whitewashed brick; central sandstone slab roof
repaired with Welsh slate, flanking extensions of graduated greenslate;
whitewashed brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 2 bays, with l-bay extension to
right and 2-bay stable to left under common roof. Brick porch with lean-to roof
of sandstone slates and Welsh slates; plank door, to side, in plain red
sandstone surround, externally shuttered window. Sash windows with glazing
bars, external shutters to ground floor, partly boarded over above. Carved
stone and inscription above left of entrance: GEORGE PATTINSON ESQ, MAYOR OF
THE CITY OF CARLISLE AND MR JOHN BROWN, MR GEORGE SOWERBY, BAYLIFFS. Extension
to right is dated 1780 on circular red sandstone panel and inscription Joseph
Potts Esq, Mayor. Plank door in plain surround,boarded window above. Further
inscription to left of entrance, JOSEPH FERGUSON ESQ, THE FIRST FREELY ELECTED
MAYOR OF CARLISLE, WHO VISITED KING GARTH AFTER THE PASSING OF THE MUNICIPAL
REFORM ACT, 20TH JUNE 1837. Stables to left: plank doors, external stone steps
to left. Oval inscription to left of loft door, Joseph Gill Esq, Mayor 1782.
The fishing rights on this part of the River Eden are mentioned as belonging to
the city of Carlisle in medieval charters and it seems this house was built to
protect these rights. There was an annual meeting of the Corporation at King
Garth until the early C20. County Record Office has the bricklayers bills of
28 October 1733, for the building of a new brick house at the Fishery at King's
Garth. House derelict and unoccupied at time of survey. Lean-to boat shed
behind stables is of no interest.


Listing NGR: NY3552359849

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.