This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8153 / 54°48'55"N
Longitude: -2.9717 / 2°58'18"W
OS Eastings: 337653
OS Northings: 547149
OS Grid: NY376471
Mapcode National: GBR 7DPR.FM
Mapcode Global: WH80G.B74C
Entry Name: Lime House School
Listing Date: 19 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087446
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78327
Location: Dalston, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA5
Civil Parish: Dalston
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Raughton Head All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 34 NE DALSTON Hawkesdale
10/141 Lime House School
House originally called Holme Hill, now private school. Early C19 with stable
arch dated and inscribed 1887 L.C.S., with Salkeld coat of arms; incorporating
C17 and C18 features. Calciferous sandstone ashlar with V-jointed quoins on
chamfered plinth. Rendered wings; graduated greenslate roofs; ashlar chimney
stacks. Entrance facade: 3 storeys, 7 bays with flanking low 2-storey,
L-shaped 6-bay wings, making overall U-shape; stable arch adjoining to right.
Central bay projects with shaped cornice enclosing Salkeld coat of arms.
6-panel door in stone architrave; stone porch on reeded pilasters with decorated
parapet. Single-pane sash windows in eared architraves, second floor with
pedimented cornices. Pilastered attic with balustraded parapet. Wings: 2-pane
sash windows nearest house in stone architraves. At right-angles are ground
floor Venetian windows with Diocletian windows above. Entrance at extreme left
has reused early C18 Ionic porch with moulded entablature and modillioned
cornice and pediment enclosing Holme(?) coat of arms. Stable arch to right is
included for G.V., but former stables are of no interest. Garden facades of 7
bays with 3-storey single-bay tower to right. Single-pane sash windows, with
glazing bars on upper floor. Balustraded parapet incorporates Salkeld coat of
arms. T.S. cypher over garden entrance. Adjoining buildings to right of tower
are of no interest. 2 fireplaces dated 1638 suggest that the core of the
building is earlier than the C19 facade. Seat of the Holme family from the
medieval period, originally known as The Hill, passed to George Holme Sumner in
1794 and sold to Col. Thomas Salkeld in 1810. Remained in Salkeld family until
C20. School takes its name from its original location at Lime House, Wetheral.
Listing NGR: NY3765347149
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings