This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.093 / 55°5'34"N
Longitude: -2.8558 / 2°51'21"W
OS Eastings: 345476
OS Northings: 577948
OS Grid: NY454779
Mapcode National: GBR 89HK.J3
Mapcode Global: WH7Z5.38B0
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 8 September 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087518
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78185
Location: Nicholforest, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6
Civil Parish: Nicholforest
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Nicholforest St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 47 NE NICHOLFOREST
152-0/8/10000 Church of St. Nicholas
Parish church. 1866-7 by Alexander Graham. Snecked rock-faced
sandstone with ashlar dressings. Slate roof in blue and purple bands
with some shaped slates and with a crested tile ridge. Comprises a
nave with a lower chancel which has an apsidal east end, and a north
transept which has a lean-to vestry in the angle with the chancel.
The west wall has 2 chamfered lancets below a rose window. The north
and south nave walls each have 3 windows of 2 trefoiled lights with
a quatrefoil below a pointed head and have buttresses between bays.
On the south side there is an open timber porch to the right of the
left-hand window. It rests on a stone base and has a steep roof. The
entrance is formed by a gable truss with curved braces rising to a
collar which supports a turned king post and has shaped bargeboards.
The north gable of the transept has a window of 3 trefoiled lights
below a foiled circle. The apsidal east end has 5 windows with bar
tracery, each with a quatrefoil above a trefoil-headed light. On the
south side of the chancel there is a 2-light window which almost
matches those to the nave. Above the western bay of the nave there
is a timber bellcote, painted white, and boarded below the trefoiled
bell openings. It supports a slated spirelet. Interior: the nave and
chancel have softwood boarded roofs. The nave roof has high collars
with bolted king posts, straight braces, and wall posts rising from
stone corbels. The transept arch is pointed and chamfered, and the
chancel arch is chamfered in 2 orders, the inner order springing from
foliated corbels. The chancel has a frieze of tiles at the wallhead,
and a plain stone doorway leading to the vestry. The hexagonal pulpit
is of oak. In the transept there are mural tablets in memory of John
Ewart (d.1871) and James Mounsey (d.1835). The west windows and some
of the north windows contain coloured glass. The chancel windows
contain stained glass depicting Christ and the four Evangelists.
Listing NGR: NY4547677948
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.