History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brackenhill Tower

A Grade II* Listed Building in Arthuret, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0168 / 55°1'0"N

Longitude: -2.8682 / 2°52'5"W

OS Eastings: 344581

OS Northings: 569480

OS Grid: NY445694

Mapcode National: GBR 8BDF.VF

Mapcode Global: WH7ZJ.X5CD

Entry Name: Brackenhill Tower

Listing Date: 1 April 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087521

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78085

Location: Arthuret, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Arthuret

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Arthuret St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Kirklinton

Listing Text

NY 46 NW ARTHURET

23/22 Brackenhill Tower

1.4.57 II*

House. Dated 1586 on stone in wall, for the Graham family, replacing earlier
tower; extension dated and inscribed over entrance R.G. J.G. 1717, further
extensions dated 1860 on rainwater head for the Standish family. Tower of large
blocks of red sandstone rubble on chamfered plinth, string course, corbelled
battlemented parapet, projecing rainwater spouts; gabled slate roof within the
parapet, end stone chimney stacks: C18 brick extension with graduated green
slate roof, brick chimney stack; C19 extension of dressed red sandstone with
raised quoins, corbelled battlemented parapet, flat roof, stone chimney stack.
Scottish baronial square tower of 2 storeys and basement, with 2-storey 1860
extension to right and 2-storey, 3-bay 1717 extension at right angles. Tower
has 1860 battlemented porch with side entrance, coat of arms of Standish Family
above. First floor enlarged window in roll moulded architrave with wrought iron
grille; one enlarged window above and 2 smaller original windows. Ground floor
side entrance to tower has studded plank door in moulded wooden architrave.
Rear wall has blocked first floor doorway. Interior has vaulted ground floor
chamber; newel stair gives access to the upper storeys. Brick extension has
plank door in chamfered surround, blocked similar entrance to right. 2-light
stone mullioned windows. 1860 extension has to rear, the present entrance,
studded plank door in roll moulded architrave, large staircase window above;
blank wall to left has projecting chimney breast. End wall left has canted bay
window. See Curwen, Castles and Towers, 1913, pp.352-3; Transactions Cumberland
& Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, viii, pp.375-6.


Listing NGR: NY4458169480

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.