History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Arthuret, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9997 / 54°59'58"N

Longitude: -2.9717 / 2°58'18"W

OS Eastings: 337939

OS Northings: 567666

OS Grid: NY379676

Mapcode National: GBR 7BPM.FK

Mapcode Global: WH7ZH.BL5J

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 1 April 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087523

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78088

Location: Arthuret, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Arthuret

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Arthuret St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Longtown

Listing Text

NY 36 NE ARTHURET ARTHURET

22/1 Church of St Michael

1.4.57

G.V. II*

Church. Dated 1609 over west entrance, built by national subscription, replacing
medieval church; tower completed c1700, restored 1868. Red and yellow dressed
sandstone, graduated green slate roofs. 3-storey tower/porch, 7-bay nave with
north and south aisles, one-bay chancel. Tower: plank door in pointed arch,
2-light mullioned openings with louvred vents; small, chamfered-surround stair
windows to left; stepped angle buttresses, string courses, battlemented parapet and
corner pinnacles; weather vane with cut lettering ST MICHAEL'S. Aisles have triple
cross-mullioned windows; smaller mullioned clerestory windows above. Aisles and
nave with battlemented parapets and finials, stepped buttresses between aisle
windows. Chancel has no side windows; replacement east window of 1868 (original
now as folly at Whoof House, Aglionby) has oval at the apex of the arch and inter-
secting tracery, stained glass by Scott of Carlisle. Interior; 7-bay arcade of
pointed arches; C17 bowl and stem font; C15 heart brass; heraldic hatchments on
3 wooden panels and marble wall plaques, all to members of the Graham family 1657-
C20. Furnishing and fittings are early C20. See, Transactions Cumberland &
Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, vol lxvi, pp. 179-189.


Listing NGR: NY3793967666

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.