This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0159 / 55°0'57"N
Longitude: -2.7047 / 2°42'16"W
OS Eastings: 355035
OS Northings: 569262
OS Grid: NY550692
Mapcode National: GBR 9BKF.7R
Mapcode Global: WH7ZM.F683
Entry Name: Askerton Castle
Listing Date: 1 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087531
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78109
Location: Askerton, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA8
Civil Parish: Askerton
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Lanercostwith Kirkcambeck St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 56 NE ASKERTON
26/24 Askerton Castle
House, formerly Castle. Early C14 with C15 alterations; late C15 and early C16
additions for Thomas, Lord Dacre, with further additions of late C16; C19
alterations by Anthony Salvin and 1922 alterations by Edmond Warre. Large
blocks of calciferous sandstone rubble on projecting plinth stones; graduated
sandstone slate roof, flat lead roofs on towers, ashlar chimney stacks.
3-storey, 4-bay, C14 former tower house (now gabled) with flanking 4-storey,
single-bay late C15 or early C16 towers; early C16 curtain wall enclosing
courtyard to rear, C16 hall and barrack block in L-shape within courtyard.
Central block has C20 door in chamfered surround with C20 pointed arch. Ground
floor 2-light chamfered mullioned windows with hood moulds are C19
replacements. 2 original C16 3-light chamfered mullioned windows above; a third
similar window to right is C19. 2 small square attic windows flank 2 two-light
mullioned windows of 1922. Rear wall has blocked courtyard entrance; small
chamfered-surround windows on various levels, some with iron grilles. Interior
has C15 roof timbers. Tower to right has C19 ground floor window, smaller
original windows above. Top courses of stonework project irregularly and may be
rebuilt. Projecting battlemented parapet to both towers. Tower to left is set
back with garderobe in the angle. Corbelled-out firebreast at first floor
level. Parapet has early C16 stone inscribed T.D. (Thomas Dacre). Interior has
garderobe on each level; windows between the adjoining hall and tower suggest
hall is of later date; floor levels altered in 1922. Curtain wall forms outer
wall of adjoining hall and barrack block. Hall has ground floor stone-mullioned
windows of 1922; upper floor chamfered-surround windows are probably C16. End
wall has 3-light window with trefoil heads. Slit vents to left light
garderobes. Interior has fireplace with inscription Thomas Carleton Junior 1576
(land serjeant); blocked door and stairs in thickness of end wall suggest a
third tower and parapet walk around curtain wall; C16 roof timbers, tie-beams,
kingposts with two-way braces and queenstruts. Barrack block has small C16
chamfered-surround windows on various levels, some with iron grilles and slit
vents for garderobes. Wall to courtyard has 1922 windows, converted from later
use as stables. Interior has 2 C16 fireplaces between modern floor levels.
Curtain wall continues to enclose courtyard and has C19 rebuilt segmental arch.
Blocked C16 window to left, suggests a porter's lodge with slight remains of
steps to parapet walk. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian &
Archaeological Society, new series, xxiv, pp149-155.
Listing NGR: NY5503569262
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.