History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Greenwell Farmhouse, Barns and Adjoining Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Hayton, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9004 / 54°54'1"N

Longitude: -2.7236 / 2°43'25"W

OS Eastings: 353691

OS Northings: 556430

OS Grid: NY536564

Mapcode National: GBR 9CFS.43

Mapcode Global: WH806.4392

Entry Name: Greenwell Farmhouse, Barns and Adjoining Outbuildings

Listing Date: 28 March 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087545

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78036

Location: Hayton, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA8

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Hayton

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Hayton St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Farlam

Listing Text

NY 55 NW HAYTON GREENWELL


5/45 Greenwell Farmhouse,
barns and adjoining
outbuildings

II

Farmhouse and barns adjoining. Probably early C18, incorporating earlier
features, with early C19 alterations; barn extension dated 1774 with initials
J. (&) M.H., over entrance. 2 storeys, 3-bay farmhouse. Plank door and sash
windows with glazing bars have rusticated stone surrounds of the early C19;
smaller window above entrance is probably original. Barn to left is
contemporary with house. Plank doors and slit vents; loft door has external
stone steps. Further extension to barn left, has large plank doors with keyed
arch, dated and initialled keystone. Painted quoins and slit vents. Single
storey outbuildings to right (now used as garage) have plank doors and similar
surrounds to house. Former C19, 2 bay pigsties adjoin to right. Victorian
wall letter-box in outbuilding wall. Deeds go back to 1684 and in C19 formed
part of the estate of the Earl of Carlisle.


Listing NGR: NY5369156430

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.