History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cumrew House and Adjoining Buildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Cumrew, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8469 / 54°50'48"N

Longitude: -2.7011 / 2°42'4"W

OS Eastings: 355074

OS Northings: 550458

OS Grid: NY550504

Mapcode National: GBR 9DLD.09

Mapcode Global: WH80D.GFYM

Entry Name: Cumrew House and Adjoining Buildings

Listing Date: 1 April 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087576

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78007

Location: Cumrew, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA8

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Cumrew

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Cumrew St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Ainstable

Listing Text

NY 55 SE CUMREW CUMREW

10/16

1.4.57 Cumrew House and
adjoining
- outbuildings

G.V. II

House and outbuildings. Probably early C18 with extensions dated 1753 with
inscription, John Gill, Elizabeth Gill, over entrance and further extensions
dated 1891-2, with initials C.J.G., probably by George Dale Oliver (who designed
the nearby church in 1890). Red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth, raised
quoins, string course and cornice; graduated green slate roof with coped gables
and kneelers, ashlar chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 6 bays, of double span with 4
bays behind (probably original house). 6-panel glazed door is probably
original; moulded eared architrave, inscribed and dated frieze and moulded
cornice. Sash windows with glazing bars; double sash to right of entrance, all
have moulded stone architraves. Single storey wing to left is dated 1892 with
initials; similar window to house, battlemented corbelled parapet. Rear of
house has alterations to windows and date 1891 over entrance. Outbuildings to
rear enclose courtyard on 3 sides, 1&2 storeys of mixed sandstone rubble, part
whitewashed. Stables and barns have large round-arched carriage entrance, other
archway partly filled. C20 garage doors to outside walls; casement windows with
glazing bars to upper floor. Single storey servants' cottage has whitewashed
walls and Welsh slate roof. Plank door has plain painted stone surround.
Casement windows with glazing bars have plain painted stone surrounds.


Listing NGR: NY5507450458

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.