History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East Oldwall and Attached Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Irthington, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9477 / 54°56'51"N

Longitude: -2.8107 / 2°48'38"W

OS Eastings: 348171

OS Northings: 561754

OS Grid: NY481617

Mapcode National: GBR 8CT7.95

Mapcode Global: WH7ZR.SWSW

Entry Name: East Oldwall and Attached Outbuildings

Listing Date: 16 January 1984

Last Amended: 23 March 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087621

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77907

Location: Irthington, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Irthington

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Irthington St Kentigern

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Irthington

Listing Text

(page 2 of 3)

List of buildings of special architectual or historic interest
compiled under section 54 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1971

Description
of Building

In the entry for : IRTHINGTON OLD WALL
9/112 East Old Wall and
attached outbuildings

The item shall be
amended to read: OLD WALL
East Oldwall and
attached outbuildings

------------------------------------

NY 46 SE IRTHINGTON OLDWALL

9/112 East Old Wall and
attached outbuildings

G.V. II

Farmhouse. Dated 1701, restored 1886. Red sandstone rubble walls; Welsh slate
roof, yellow brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 4 bays, flanked by wing of 2
storeys, one bay to left and barn to right: single storey outbuildings to
extreme left. Entrance has plain quoined surround, C20 door and fanlight.
2-pane sash windows with plain stone surrounds. Small filled window with
chamfered surround to left with small wall sundial above. Extension has C20
casement window to ground floor, casement with glazing bars above. Outbuilding
has plank door with plain stone surround and 2-pane sash window with plain stone
surrounds. Rear of extension has date and initials KAS on reused lintel stone
with lintel below inscribed RESTORED 1886 J.P. & M.A. LAW. Cockerel on shield
above with latin inscription DUM VIVO GAMAM is Law family arms. Extension to
rear of house under common roof has sandstone rubble walls, sash windows with
glazing bars and plain stone surrounds. Barn has 2 arched cart entrances with
plank doors. Single storey outbuilding has plank doors and plain stone
surrounds. Aligned with and almost on top of the Roman Wall.


Listing NGR: NY4817161754

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.