This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.956 / 54°57'21"N
Longitude: -2.6887 / 2°41'19"W
OS Eastings: 355995
OS Northings: 562586
OS Grid: NY559625
Mapcode National: GBR 9CN4.Q7
Mapcode Global: WH7ZT.NPWK
Entry Name: Naworth Castle
Listing Date: 14 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087643
English Heritage Legacy ID: 77855
Location: Brampton, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA8
Civil Parish: Brampton
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Brampton St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 56 SE BRAMPTON NAWORTH
11/58 Naworth Castle
Castle and seat of the Earls of Carlisle. Probably late C13, first mentioned in
1323 (V.C.H. Cumberland p.255), licence to crenellate, 1335, granted to Ranulph
de Dacre; additions c1520, for and by, Thomas Lord Dacre; further additions 1602
(date & initials W.H. on rainwater head), for Lord William Howard; Vanburgh
designed music gallery and screen for 3rd Earl and may have been responsible for
work on the kitchen offices; Colvin mentions work by C.H. Tatham for the 5th
Earl; Salvin restored the north and east ranges after the fire of 1844.
Calciferous and red dressed sandstone, lead and slate roofs, stone chimney
stacks. Formerly: tower house (Dacre Tower) with south curtain wall; hall and
chapel ranges with north-east angle gate tower (Lord William Howard's Tower) all
altered c1520 and 1602; Morpeth Tower added to hall, 1845; C18 & C19 west and
south range with Stanley Tower of 1881. East range living quarters of 2
storeys, 9 bays, has flanking 3 storey, one bay towers, with battlemented
parapets to each. Small square headed mullioned windows with square leaded
panes: large and small round headed mullioned windows to courtyard, have
diamond leaded panes. South curtain wall has large C16 pointed arch, with
recessed chamfered surround and large iron studded gates, giving access to large
open courtyard; arms of Lord William Howard above. North range has external but
engaged, Morpeth Tower of 2 storeys, 2 bays: hall of 2 storeys, 9 bays, has
raised courtyard entrance, with carved stone panel of Dacre arms above. Square
2-light and round headed 3-light mullioned windows have diamond leaded panes.
Battlemented parapet and 1982 slate roof, replacing 1845 lead (grant aided by
Historic Buildings Council). West range, 3 storeys, 6 bays, is of similar
details, formerly kitchens and servants'quarters, now let as flats. Interior has
wood panelled library and other panelled rooms by C.J. Ferguson, with painted
gesso overmantel panel of The Battle of Flodden by Burne-Jones and Sir E. Boehm,
1882. Hall gutted by fire 1844, but retains large C16 fireplace with segmental
head: wooden hammer beam roof by Salvin 1845. Lord William Howard's tower is
supported on ribbed arches crossing the angle of the north-east walls. Lord
William's chamber has timber ceiling, c1350, from Kirkoswald Castle, with
moulded beams and bosses and panels filled with flowing tracery. The oratory
contains part of a screen from Lanercost Priory with crocketed ogee panels and a
German painting dated 1514, representing the Flagellation, Crucifixion and
Resurrection. Dacre Tower has ground floor iron yett. See, Transactions,
Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, old series, iv,
p.486-509; Country Life, 25 March 1911, p.414-22.
Listing NGR: NY5600762609
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings