This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8815 / 54°52'53"N
Longitude: -2.8305 / 2°49'49"W
OS Eastings: 346817
OS Northings: 554401
OS Grid: NY468544
Mapcode National: GBR 8CPZ.0X
Mapcode Global: WH804.HKDL
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity and St Constantine
Listing Date: 1 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087692
English Heritage Legacy ID: 77762
Location: Wetheral, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA4
Civil Parish: Wetheral
Built-Up Area: Wetheral
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Wetheral Holy Trinity and St Constantine
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
14/181 Church of the Holy
1. 4.57. Trinity and
Church. C13 with alterations of early C16, 1790-91, 1872 (by R.J. Withers) and
1881-2. Dressed red sandstone, graduated slate roofs, coped east gable. West
tower, nave with vestry and south porch, chancel and chapel, bellcote at east
end. Hexagonal tower, on site of medieval porch, 1790 with 1882 upper part.
Round-arched moulded West door under 2-light window. C19 clock. Drip moulds at
floors and openings; battlemented parapet with corner water spouts and
pinnacles. C16 nave doors and windows, some blocked or repositioned; C16
clerestory. C19 south extension in re-used stone with 4-light window. Chancel
has 5-light east window. South window and priest's door have inscriptions to
William Thornton and Richard Wedderhall, Priors of Wetheral 1500-30 and 1534-9.
4-bay double-chamfered nave arcades. Medieval features include C13 hexagonal
font, tomb chest with effigies of Sir Richard and Dame Jane Salkeld c1500, and
fragments of stained glass. Other glass of C19 and Howard Chapel of 1791 Gothic
style, has buttresses rising to pinnacles and battlemented parapet; also large
cast iron pointed windows, an early use of this material. Interior has
rib-vaulted plaster ceiling. Its chief ornament is a life sized monumental
figure of Faith, commemorating Lady Maria Howard, died 1789, by Joseph Nollekens
for Henry Howard of Corby Castle who built the chapel as her memorial.
Nollekens considered this to be his finest work and he is shown carving this
monument on his tombstone. See Transactions of the Cumberland & Westmorland
Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc., vol. xxii (new series) pp.235-8.
Listing NGR: NY4681754401
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings