History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brunstock Farmhouse and Barns

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanwix Rural, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.9266 / 54°55'35"N

Longitude: -2.9112 / 2°54'40"W

OS Eastings: 341702

OS Northings: 559483

OS Grid: NY417594

Mapcode National: GBR 8C3G.JR

Mapcode Global: WH7ZX.7FZJ

Entry Name: Brunstock Farmhouse and Barns

Listing Date: 22 September 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087725

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77631

Location: Stanwix Rural, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Stanwix Rural

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Crosby-on-Eden St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

NY 45 NW
5/51 Brunstock Farmhouse
and barns.


Farm and barns, formerly Dairy to Brunstock House. Late 1820's with additions
dated 1845, for the Saul family. Farmhouse has English garden wall bond
brickwork, whitewashed over, graduated stone-slate roof, double brick chimney
stacks, one stone coped gable. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Entrance has pointed
chamfered stone arch and surround, with hood mould and iron studded plank door.
Ground floor windows have 2-3 light mullions with hood moulds and diamond
cast-iron casements, central one altered to double sash with mullions removed.
3 corbelled-out dormer windows with crow-stepped gables, central window retains
its tripartite diamond cast-iron casements, but flanking dormers altered to
wooden and steel casements without glazing bars. Central dormer has weathered
stone arms panel with cross stone vents in others. Brick modillions, chimney
stacks with recessed panels and dentilled cornice. Gable end has date stone
1845. Behind, facing the road, is a 2½ storey tower with similar windows,
gabled roof, rounded stone with 1820's date, partly cut away. Similar entrance
and windows to right. Square headed lancets to left with continuous hood mould
over central panel inscribed DAIRY. To left and at right angles to the
farmhouse are 2 storey barns of brick: 1980's slate roof nearest farmhouse and
graduated slate roof at right angles. Large projecting cart entrance: plank
doors and half-plank doors, slit vents to upper floors.

Listing NGR: NY4170259483

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.