History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Drawdykes Castle

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stanwix Rural, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9183 / 54°55'5"N

Longitude: -2.9078 / 2°54'28"W

OS Eastings: 341907

OS Northings: 558549

OS Grid: NY419585

Mapcode National: GBR 8C4K.8R

Mapcode Global: WH7ZX.9MKY

Entry Name: Drawdykes Castle

Listing Date: 1 April 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087728

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77642

Location: Stanwix Rural, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Stanwix Rural

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle Stanwix St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Carlisle

Listing Text

STANWIX RURAL DRAWDYKES

NY 45 NW

5/62 Drawdykes Castle

1. 4.57.
II*

Farmhouse, formerly tower home. Probably C14, converted to house 1676 by
William Thackery and John Aglionby. Mixed red and yellow sandtone walls, mostly
from the Roman Wall nearby, gabled slate roof. 3 storeys, 3 bays. Basically the
original tower with Classical Revival faade and rear windows Chamfered plinth
course. Entrance has moulded surround with triangular pediment, C19 6-panel door.
Moulded surrounds to sash windows with glazing bars, having alternating
segmented and triangular pediments, but no pediments to second floor windows.
Calciferous sandstone ashlar quoins, moulded cornice and parapet with central
coat of arms over which is carved head possibly of John Aglionby. West wall has
roof moulding of adjoining building which was demolished c1764 to build the
attached farmhouse (now very much altered). Rear wall has built-in Roman altar;
and re-used lintel stone inscribed to Alan de Penitona, who was mayor of
Carlisle in 1287, is inside. Interior now used for storage and impossible to
inspect. One of the earliest Classical Revival facades in the area. See,
Curwen, Castles & Towers of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913, p. 368.


Listing NGR: NY4190758549

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.