History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Blackwell House and Stables

A Grade II Listed Building in Carlisle, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8674 / 54°52'2"N

Longitude: -2.9327 / 2°55'57"W

OS Eastings: 340236

OS Northings: 552912

OS Grid: NY402529

Mapcode National: GBR 7DY4.WY

Mapcode Global: WH802.XXNG

Entry Name: Blackwell House and Stables

Listing Date: 1 April 1957

Last Amended: 22 September 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1087744

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77590

Location: St. Cuthbert Without, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA2

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: St Cuthbert Without

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle Upperby St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Carlisle

Listing Text

ST CUTHBERT WITHOUT BLACKWELL
NY 45SW Blackwell House and
stables
8/10
(Blackwell House formerly
listed).

1. 4.57 II

Farmhouse and stables. 173O's-4O's, house, with stable extension of 19O5.
Rendered walls, painted stone surrounds, slate roof, brick chimney stacks. 2
storeys, 5 bays. Moulded surrounds to windows and entrance: entrance has
shouldered architrave and dentilled cornice. Wall has moulded cornice, coped
gables with kneelers, C2O tile ridge. Sash windows with glazing bars, shutter
hinge hooks to ground floor. Top glazed 6-panel door. 1½ storey, 6 bay, brick
stables, to left, extends to road. C2O plank doors to stables and sliding
garage door, that nearest house gives additional entrance. Rear of house has
filled entrance which could be earlier than 173O and suggests the facade
represents a rebuilding to an earlier house. Used as headquarters by both
Rebels and Crown during the 2 sieges of Carlisle in 1745. Civic Trust plaque:
Prince Charles Edward Stuart stayed here 1O November 1745 and the Duke of
Cumberland, 21-31 December 1745. Illustrated, J.A. Wheatley, Bonnie Prince
Charlie in Cumberland, 19O3, p. 21.


Listing NGR: NY4023652912

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.