This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8379 / 54°50'16"N
Longitude: -2.9449 / 2°56'41"W
OS Eastings: 339408
OS Northings: 549644
OS Grid: NY394496
Mapcode National: GBR 7DWH.7J
Mapcode Global: WH808.QNVJ
Entry Name: Cottage North East of Town Head Farmhouse
Listing Date: 22 September 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087753
English Heritage Legacy ID: 77605
Location: St. Cuthbert Without, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA5
Civil Parish: St Cuthbert Without
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle Upperby St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
In the entry for:
NY 34 NE ST CUTHBERT WITHOUT RATTEN ROW
10/25 Cottage North-East of
Town Head Farmhouse
The description shall be amended to read: II
Cottage, possibly late C16/early C17. 1689 date, with initials I & M.L and
R & M.L, on door lintel refers to partial re-casing and extension; further extension
made, probably in C18. Initials probably those of Losh family. Original building
clay-walled; re-casing and extensions in squared rubble with dressed details.
Main roof corrugated iron over thatch with brick mid and end chimneys; rear
outshut roof stone-flagged. Single storey, 6 bays. Original cottage has 2
(inserted ?) windows, one is 2-light, stone-mullioned. 1689 work incorporates
cross passage with dated lintel to chamfered door surround. Fire window and
casement under continuous hoodmould to right, casement to left, all with chamfered
surrounds. Door and part-blocked fire window in C18 extension. Doors are plank,
windows are small-pane casements. Interior: Original cottage subdivided by
full-height clay cross-wall; ogee-headed wooden doorcase leads into end room
which has loft carried on stop chamfered post and beam. Main room has ogee-head
wooden doorcase in gable end separated from inglenook by heck partition. Bressumer
carries clay fire-hood; late C18/early C19 range with crane. 2 cruck trusses.
Large brick oven in C18 extension.
ST CUTHBERT WITHOUT RATTEN ROW
NY 34 NE
10/25 Cottage north-east of
Town Head Farmhouse
Cottage. Dated 1689 with initials LIM and LRM on stone lintel. Sandstone
rubble walls, probably thatched but covered with corrugated iron sheeting, brick
chimney stacks. Single storey, 6 bays. Mixed windows small and large but only
one original mullion, others retain original chamfered surrounds: door has
chamfered surround and lintel with raised inscription, hood mould over entrance
extends over principal window: windows 3 casements with glazing bars, others of
single pane: small fire-window beside entrance. Plank doors to both entrances.
Listing NGR: NY3940849644
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings