This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1334 / 53°8'0"N
Longitude: -1.4364 / 1°26'11"W
OS Eastings: 437802
OS Northings: 359732
OS Grid: SK378597
Mapcode National: GBR 6BD.HNQ
Mapcode Global: WHDFV.XH5Q
Entry Name: Ogston Hall and Attached Stable Block
Listing Date: 31 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087805
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79400
Location: Brackenfield, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE55
District: North East Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Brackenfield
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Brackenfield Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 35 NE PARISH OF BRACKENFIELD OGSTON LANE
4/12 (South Side)
31-1-67 Ogston Hall and attached
Country house and attached stable block. c1500, 1659, 1694, 1768
house by Joseph Pickford, refashioning of 1851 to 1864 by T C Hine
and addition of 1910. Ashlar gritstone to C18 and C19 parts.
Coursed sandstone rubble to earlier parts. Sandstone dressings and
quoins, C18 and C19 ones rusticated. Slate roofs with leaded or stone ridges.
Numerous stone and brick side wall and ridge stacks, including range of five
octagonal C19 pots to south-west range. Two storeys plus attics and basements.
Roughly quadrangular plan with projecting stableblock to east. North and west
range, originally C17 and earlier. South-east corner 1768, refashioned 1851
onwards. 1910 infill between this and north range. East facade - to south,
five bay C18 house masked by two storey Victorian additions. Central three bay
semi-circular headed arcade with pilasters on piers. Behind 1768 doorcase
survives with Tuscan columns, metope frieze and semi-circular headed moulded door.
To either side 1851 canted mullion and transomed bay windows. Above, two similar
bay windows. Between them, three mullion and transom windows with rounded top
corners. Pilasters between windows., Over, balustraded parapet with central
coat of arms. Behind, four 1768 glazing bar sashes in moulded aedicules and
central diocletian window. Original glazing bars intact. Above, dentilled
cornice and plain parapet with central balustraded section. To north 1910
addition in style similar to 1851 work. South facade - to east 1768 house with
two C19 bay windows; that to the east, two storeys and balustraded with window
of three semi-circular headed, full height,lights below and 3-light mullion window
above. Western bay, canted with huge double transomed 4-light mullioned window
to front. All lights with semi-circular heads, Above, C19 4-light recessed and
chamfered mullioned and transomed window with hood. Two single light C19 windows
to east. 1768 parapets with two sections of balustrading over. Beyond, to west,
double gabled, Victorianised C17 section. Three C19 2-light mullion windows with
pointed lights. Between western two, buttress supporting C19 oriel over with
mullion and transomed windows. To east, recessed and chamfered mullion and
transom window with hood. Above, one 2-light and one 3-light C19 window with
pointed lights and Tudor hoods. East gable, C19 Flemish gable, that to west plain.
Recessed to west, Victorianised C16 gabled section. Large recessed and chamfered
mullion and transom window below, smaller similar 4-light window over. Behind.
five storey, C19, Gothic tower with castellated parapets and domed stair turret.
Northern stable block of seven bays with recessed and chamfered mullion windows.
Large double chamfered C19 depressed arch, through to east facade at east end. To
west, re-used late medieval gatehouse with four centred archway and small pointed
pedestrian door. C19 castellated parapets. To eastern gable, datestone inscribed
'RE 1694'. Inner courtyard has 1768 windows with moulded aedicules to south-east.
Also re-set datestone inscribed 'WET 1768'. Evidence of early C17 building to
west. Raised walk with two sets of twin dog kennels below. Above, two four-
centred arched doorcases and recessed and chamfered mullion windows. Two similar
windows above in dormers. To north, 1810 stone sundial set obliquely into wall
over semi-circular arch. Interior - mostly C19. Various pieces of re-used C17
panelling and fireplaces. Moulded C17 crossed beams with plasterwork central
boss to dining room, originally the first floor ceiling. In kitchen, early C16
heavily moulded crossed beams with carved central boss of hand clasping dagger.
C18 fireplace and built-in corner cupboard to room off hall. C19 service stair-
case with re-used Elizabethan turned balusters. Elaborate C19 stone staircase
with wooden gallery over. Behind this, two original 1768 doors survive.
Listing NGR: SK3780259732
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings