This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3264 / 53°19'34"N
Longitude: -1.7386 / 1°44'19"W
OS Eastings: 417504
OS Northings: 381081
OS Grid: SK175810
Mapcode National: GBR JY9Z.D9
Mapcode Global: WHCCM.8NB9
Entry Name: Church of St Barnabas
Listing Date: 12 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087832
English Heritage Legacy ID: 80611
Location: Bradwell, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, S33
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Bradwell
Built-Up Area: Bradwell
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Bradwell St Barnabas
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 18 SE PARISH OF BRADWELL CHURCH STREET
1/4 (East Side)
Church of St Barnabas
Church. 1867-8 by CC Townsend, tower added 1888-91. Coursed, squared,rock-faced
limestone with gritstone dressings and quoins. Plinth. Steeply pitched
Westmorland slate roofs. Pierced terracota ridge tiles to nave. Gabled
bellcote to east gable of nave. Ridge crosses to chancel and nave gables.
Stone coped gables with moulded kneelers. South-west tower, nave, lower chancel and
north vestry. West elevation has three stage tower with stepped, full-height,
corner buttresses. Central pair of trefoil headed lancets to ground floor.
Stringcourse and single central lancet above. Clock face over.
Further stringcourse with louvred, flat headed, 2-light bell openings with
flowing tracery to all sides, over. Moulded stringcourse with gargoyles to all
sides above and embattled parapets. To north, nave with steps up to central,
continuously moulded, double chamfered doorcase with hoodmould. Plank door.
Two large lancets over, with recessed central quatrefoil window between to top.
Two flush bands of contrasting gritstone in gable. North elevation has
diagonal stepped buttress to western corner and five tall lancets. To east,
later north vestry with flat headed 4-light chamfered mullion window with
pointed lights and central major mullion. To either side, gableted corner
buttresses. Pointed doorcase and trefoil headed lancet to east wall of vestry.
East window of three stepped chamfered lancets. Diagonal buttresses either
side. Two contrasting gritstone bands in gable . Below, stone plaque inscribed
'AD 1867 THS XP'. Two chamfered lancets to south chancel wall. Stepped
buttress between chancel and nave. Nave has four similar lancet windows.
Projecting tower to west has pointed south door with chamfered jambs, moulded
top and hood over. Above, nodding ogeed niche. Interior has wide chamfered
chancel arch with wooden tie across, supporting crucifix. Crown post roof.
Chancel has organ bay to north with trefoil headed piscina beyond to east.
East window has roll moulded arches on thin shafts. Cusped wooden altar and
altar back. To south, three seats set in arched recesses. Early C18 carved
panels reused in pulpit and as chancel rails. C19 stone font with octagonal
stem and bowl.
Listing NGR: SK1750481081
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings