This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5094 / 51°30'33"N
Longitude: -0.335 / 0°20'5"W
OS Eastings: 515647
OS Northings: 180250
OS Grid: TQ156802
Mapcode National: GBR 67.Q6R
Mapcode Global: VHGQW.4BS8
Entry Name: Church of St Mellitus
Listing Date: 5 August 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088072
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489658
Location: Ealing, London, W7
Electoral Ward/Division: Elthorne
Built-Up Area: Ealing
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mellitus Hanwell
Church of England Diocese: London
962/0/10066 CHURCH ROAD
CHURCH OF ST MELLITUS
St Mellitus Church, Hanwell
Anglican parish church. 1909 by Sir Arthur Blomfield & Sons. Brown and red brick exterior with Bath stone dressings, tiled roof.
PLAN: Five-bay nave with aisles oriented north-south, with chancel (the liturgical east end) at north; transept on east (liturgical south) side. Entrance porches at north-east and south-east; vestry at north-east; link to vicarage at north-west.
EXTERIOR: South end (liturgical west) with a tall gabled bell-cote over a two-light lancet window set between buttresses; sloping roof to baptistery to left of gabled porch. East (liturgical south) side with nine paired lancets at clearstorey level; sloping roof over aisle with similar paired lancets, gabled transept to right of porch, with hipped roof vestry to right. North (liturgical east) end with five-light arched window with cinquefoil tracery; small gabled porch below. Triangular clearstorey windows with quatrefoils to chancel, one on (liturgical) south side, three on (liturgical) north side. Single storey link to vestry at north-west corner in front of side chapel, which has a three-light trefoil-headed window and a three-bay west return.
INTERIOR: five-bay nave with side aisles. Arcade of wide cut brick arches carried on stone octagonal piers. Open wooden roof with hammerbeams alternating with braced tie-beams. Chancel with mosaic-laid floor, sedilia and piscina, organ loft, coffered timber ceiling. Triple arcade at south (liturgical west) end with font to centre. Side chapel at north-west (liturgical north-east) corner.
FIXTURES: (liturgical) east window by Christopher Webb, 1930: Christ in Majesty over St Michael and Virgin and Child, Annunciation and St George & the Dragon in upper quatrefoils. Liturgical east window to side chapel with crucifixion (after Perugino) by E. Stanley Watkins, in memory of Scout Owen Harwood d.1917; two-light side window in chapel depicting the Adoration of the Magi. Circular stone font with trefoil-headed arcade carried on six red marble colonnettes with foliate capitals. Plain lectern, pulpit, bench pews.
HISTORY: an imposing brick Gothic design from the prominent late Victorian practice of Sir Arthur Blomfield and Sons. St Mellitus was the first Bishop of London.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings