This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4765 / 51°28'35"N
Longitude: -0.3403 / 0°20'24"W
OS Eastings: 515362
OS Northings: 176589
OS Grid: TQ153765
Mapcode National: GBR 69.NX2
Mapcode Global: VHGR2.14ZY
Entry Name: Lodge
Listing Date: 9 August 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088094
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489670
Location: Hounslow, London, TW7
Electoral Ward/Division: Osterley and Spring Grove
Built-Up Area: Hounslow
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Spring Grove
Church of England Diocese: London
787/0/10120 THE GROVE
The Lodge, The Grove.
Former lodge to Spring Grove House. 1893 by W.B. Catherwood. Red brick with extensive stone dressings; wooden porch; slate roof with decorative leadwork. Single storey lodge, square in plan, with a pyramidal roof rising up to a large central chimneystack with three small pilasters to each face. Scalloped leadwork to base of stack, ornamental sun ray leadwork to top of roof. Dentil cornice at eaves level. Moulded string course at cill level. Entrance by means of a wooden porch, with arches over balustrade. Casement windows within moulded stone surrounds, with decorative leadwork to upper lights, central mullions, cast iron balcony rails, and aprons. Projecting south-east corner is gabled, with a floral finial of iron; tympanum of gable is filled with a stone relief with strapwork around a cartouche inscribed AP 1893; pair of windows with moulded stone aprons embellished with swags and paterae on main side. East fa?ade has a pair of windows with later shutters added; northern continuation formerly housed a WC and a coal store.
HISTORY: built to serve Spring Grove House, the home of soap magnate Andrew Pears (hence the AP monogram), who carried out extensive works to the main house in 1892-94. A highly ornamental entrance lodge, designed in a 'Free Renaisance' style.
SOURCES: Drainage Plans dated August 1893 submitted to local authority; Peter Rowlands, 'Spring Grove House: A History' (2001).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings