This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4479 / 51°26'52"N
Longitude: -0.1988 / 0°11'55"W
OS Eastings: 525263
OS Northings: 173638
OS Grid: TQ252736
Mapcode National: GBR CD.GK6
Mapcode Global: VHGR4.HVRX
Entry Name: 265 and Attached Forecourt Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 27 August 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088112
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489684
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW18
Electoral Ward/Division: Southfields
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Southfields St Barnabas
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
1207/0/10125 MERTON ROAD
AND ATTACHED FORECOURT WALL AND RAILINGS
Factory office. Built in 1928 to the designs of Percy Sharp for George Mason and Co Ltd, manufacturers of OK Sauce. Art Deco style. Brick built, Flettons visible to rear but other three sides clad in cream faience with decorative mouldings. Roof concealed by parapet is hipped and now clad in later C20 pantiles. Original cast iron casement windows throughout. Symmetrical building of two storeys: fifteen window range. Projecting central porch and end pavilions.
EXTERIOR: Entrance front has paired bracket eaves cornice and moulded band above first floor. Above the three central windows is a ramped up parapet and flagstaff. Central first floor window is round-headed with moulded bracket and flanked by two mullioned and transomed casements, all with original frosted glass. Projecting porch has four plain pilasters, three panels, central cornice on console brackets and date of construction in Roman numerals (A. MCMXXV111. D). Architrave has bead and reel moulding and double doors with six fields panels in total. Four marble steps. On either side are five windows with large tripartite mullioned and transomed casements having metal bases with three panels and fasces. Ground floor windows are mainly mullioned and transomed casements but central windows are circular with enriched keystone and pivoting casement. The end bays have curved pediment, circular opening with decoration of fasces, first floor French window with enriched keystone flanked by sidelights, balcony supported on brackets with cast iron railings and two casement windows to ground floor. Attached to these projecting end wings is a low forecourt wall faced with cream faience with cast iron railings with projecting principals with circular design. Side elevations have similar curved pediments with oculi, bracket cornice and moulded band above first floor. The bay nearest to the front has a large blank window with enriched keystone and motif of fasces to the architrave, a false balcony and two plain casements to the ground floor. Recessed section to the rear has two casements to first floor and large casements to ground floor. Rear elevation is of brick with stone lintels and cast iron casements.
INTERIOR: Vestibule retains ovolo moulding to the ceiling. Entrance Hall retains two full-height piers. Well staircase to left of centre in Jacobethan style with square panelled newel posts with knops and decorated stick balusters. The landing has two Ionic piers and twin Ionic pilasters and the ceiling is panelled with ovolo moulding. The first floor end right room has a Jacobethan style stepped painted brick fireplace with brackets and applied timberframing with two large chamfered upright posts with solid brackets, thinner ceiling joists, wall framing of thin scantling and plank door.
HISTORY: Sauce production ended in 1968 and the building was acquired by "Autocue".
No 265 Merton Road is a stylish 1928 Art Deco style purpose-built factory faced in cream faience. It is unaltered externally and internally retains an original staircase, landing features and other internal fittings.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings