This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0256 / 52°1'31"N
Longitude: -1.7571 / 1°45'25"W
OS Eastings: 416765
OS Northings: 236376
OS Grid: SP167363
Mapcode National: GBR 4NP.SR1
Mapcode Global: VHB19.HCG1
Entry Name: Northwick Park
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088590
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126843
Location: Blockley, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL56
Civil Parish: Blockley
Built-Up Area: Northwick Park
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Blockley St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 13 NE 1/26 BLOCKLEY NORTHWICK PARK
25.8.60 Northwick Park
Early C17; 1686; 1732; c1775; 1828; 1832 Architects are possibly William Talman
(1686); Lord Burlington (1732); John Woolfe (c1775) Richard Hulls (1832).
Ashlar with slate roof. Three storeys all sash windows mostly with glazing bars. The
original house is an early C17 open courtyard house with the opening to the west, the
chief remaining indication of this is the shaped gables on the east and west front
although these have been altered during their history. The east, south and west
fronts have ben largely remodelled as follows:-
East (entrance) front. Five bays, remodelled by Lord Burlington in 1732. All the
windows date from this period. Bays 2 to 4 are 2 storey projections forward of the
C17 building line. First floor windows outer bays pedimented inner ones arched with
balustraded aprons. Coat of arms in centre. Lord Burlington's front door is
unaltered but has been obscured by a late C19 Roman Doric porch with broken pediment.
The attic gables, were reduced from 5 to 3 and give shaped as opposed to crow-stepped
sides at some time between 1788-1804.
South front has two 3 storey semi-circular bays each with 3 windows, centre window
between over ground floor niche. This part by John Woolfe. The bows were heightened
in 1828 (dated on the rainwater-head) and the roofs seem to have been partly
reconstructed at that time.
West front of 9 bays 2.5.2, tall sash windows with eaved architraves. Centre 5 bays
set slightly forward with quoins, modillioned cornice, and pediment crowned by vase
and containing large coat-of-arms. Central doorway with open segmental pediment.
Tall panelled ashlar stacks. This remodelling perhaps by William Talman.
North front has service wing which continues the west front and terminates in a square
block crowned by a clock turret and weathervane. The courtyard front has some C19
Interior. The principal rooms are the Hall by Lord Burlington with marble floor,
Inigo Jones style ceiling, and a fine pedimented Corinthian doorcase (now blocked).
Mahogany doors. The domed staircase which is fitted into the courtyard; the dome
dates from 1828 but the staircase itself may be circa 1775 by John Woolfe. Circular
stair with wrought iron balustrade. There are also rooms with contemporary fittings
and decorations on the west and south fronts. Including 2 important fireplaces by
P M Van Gelder dating from 1788.
The Picture Gallery was added in 1832 by Richard Hulls and is at right angle to the
East front. Two storeys on rusticated plinth, 5 bays. Bays 1, 3 and 5 on the ground
floor are arched niches containing Coade stone vases by William Croggan. First floor
cill band, cornice, balustraded parapet with central raised sculptual panel, also
Coade stone rusticated gate pier on north-east corner (to stable yard) see item 1/133.
Interior has top lit picture gallery built for the famous Spencer Churchill collection
sold 1859 and 1965. Important relief panel by John Deal (Interior not seen at time of
Listing NGR: SP1676536376
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings