This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9678 / 51°58'4"N
Longitude: -2.1897 / 2°11'23"W
OS Eastings: 387060
OS Northings: 229944
OS Grid: SO870299
Mapcode National: GBR 1JW.R5J
Mapcode Global: VH93T.0S7V
Entry Name: The Priory Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 July 1960
Last Amended: 7 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088700
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126594
Location: Deerhurst, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL19
Civil Parish: Deerhurst
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Deerhurst St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
DEERHURST DEERHURST VILLAGE
10/53 The Priory Farmhouse
(formerly listed as The Priory)
Formerly part of claustral buildings of monastery, now farmhouse.
C14, late C15 or early C16, late C16, C17, C18, various periods in
C19. Random rubble, some later brick patching, coursed, squared
blue lias (C19), stone slates to front, tiles to rear. Four-room,
2½-storey main block, 3-room, 1½ storey wing forming off-centre
'T', all one room deep, but with short wing off back of lower wing.
Front; all windows leaded lights. On right, lower wing, three 3-
light hollow-chamfered mullioned windows, 4-centred arches to each
light, sunk spandrels, hoodmould. Frame slightly proud of wall to
take render. Above, gabled stone dormer, 2-light similar window;
chimney on ridge 2 bays from right. Beyond main range: on right
reticulated-tracery window lighting 2 floors; single-storey gabled
porch, 4-centred wide arch, over 3-panel door, panels vertical.
Blocked opening to left, 3-light window as low wing. Above blocked
openings over porch, 2-light stone mullioned window, trefoil heads
to lights; one light later cut down as doorway, since restored.
Further blocked opening or rebuild of part of wall to left.
Gabled dormer with 2-light wooden window; cruciform brick chimney
on ridge behind porch. Left return blocked window ground floor, 4-
light window as main front above, 2-light to attic. Rear, all
windows leaded lights, all save first wooden, with timber lintels.
Two-light window as front; 3-light casement, iron opening light;
6-panel door, bottom 2 flush, single light, 2 carved pieces of
Saxon stonework, 2-light and single-light casements; on left end
attached to church. Above 4-light, ovolo-moulded casement; corbel
(for cloister roof, as later ones); 4-light close-set mullions,
blocked; 2-light casement, 2 corbels, 4-light mullion and transom,
corbel, corbelled chimney rising from eaves. Gabled dormer with 2-
light casement, ridge chimney as front.
Interior: heavy chamfer to ceiling beams room on left of porch
both floors; room on right, ground floor dado rail, half-glazed
door to passage (early C19), late C16 or early C17 moulded stone
fireplace surround, flat lintel. Dogleg stair, moulded string,
rail, turned balusters, square newels. Room beyond reset C12
column, with 'Ionic' volutes to capital. First floor moulded
intersecting ceiling beams in end 2 rooms on right, plastered over
in bedroom. Roof trusses tie-beam, cambered collar with curved 'V'
struts over and added collar; in 2 trusses wall posts survive
below, rising from carved corbels, in one case curved brace to tie-
beam survives. Two pairs purlins, square ridge. House originally
formed east side of cloister range; converted to house after
Reformation. First floor room probably left open to roof, as there
was a large dormer from the rear eaves until C19, shown by Lysons.
Bigland mentions remains of spacious hall. Existing 1½-storey wing
built mid C19, on site of earlier, taller range, with return from
east end to south, shown by Lysons. Part of entrance front was
roughcast at one stage. Room to right of entrance reformed early
C19. Forms group with Church of St Mary, Odda's Chapel and Abbot's
Court (all q.v.)
(R. Bigland, Collections; relative to 1791;
S. Lysons, A Collection of Gloucestershire Antiquities, 1804; D.
Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970)
Listing NGR: SO8705929939
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings