This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9304 / 51°55'49"N
Longitude: -1.7233 / 1°43'24"W
OS Eastings: 419118
OS Northings: 225804
OS Grid: SP191258
Mapcode National: GBR 4PW.WN7
Mapcode Global: VHBZ5.2RS0
Entry Name: Premises of H W Penford
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Last Amended: 29 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088785
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126390
Location: Stow-on-the-Wold, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Stow-on-the-Wold
Built-Up Area: Stow-on-the-Wold
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Stow-on-the Wold St Edward
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
5224 THE SQUARE
Premises of H W Penford
(formerly listed as shop
premises 15 yds north of
County Court Offices)
SP 1925 NW 2/8 25.8.60
C18 remodelling of C16 or earlier dwelling. Random rubble with dressed quoins, tiled
roof. Two parallel ranges end on to street behind unified front. Two storeys. Three
sashes with glazing bars over plain late C19 shop front with central entrance.
Important position projecting into the Square in the centre of the west side.
One plus two window return to north, glazing bar sashes, angled C19 bay on ground
floor, lattice porch and arrow head railings to 2 right hand bays. Gable to rear with
blocked C17 window with drip. Interior reveals that the house developed as 2 units,
that on the north retains dragon beam and hollow chamfered joists.
Listing NGR: SP1911825804
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings