This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4362 / 51°26'10"N
Longitude: 0.3692 / 0°22'8"E
OS Eastings: 564769
OS Northings: 173465
OS Grid: TQ647734
Mapcode National: GBR NMK.XVH
Mapcode Global: VHJLK.C50B
Entry Name: Tivoli House
Listing Date: 1 March 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089014
English Heritage Legacy ID: 356459
Location: Gravesham, Kent, DA12
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Gravesend
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Milton-next-Gravesend Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 67 SW GRAVESEND WINDMILL STREET
8/232 Tivoli House
Originally an hotel and refreshment rooms. Dated 1836, extended in 1856 and late
C19. Stock brick with slate and asbestos tile hipped roofs with deep eaves.
Half H-shaped on plan, the left (north) wing was extended at rear in 1856 and again later in C19 by addition of a large hall. Entrance hall and stairs on left (north) side.
2 storeys, attic and basement. Symmetrical west front of 1:5:1 bays, the centre
3 bays 2 storeys and basement, the projecting flanking wings rise to attics.
Rendered basement has rusticated openings at centre and left. Brick string course at first floor level. Centre 5 windows are round-headed on ground floor and segmental headed on first floor, all with moulded stucco archivolts. Flanking wings have tripartite sashes on ground floor in rusticated segmentally headed architraves. Sash windows, mostly with glazing bars. North return of left cross-wing, 1:3:1 bays, ground floor rusticated cambered arch openings and wide rusticated doorways either side of central window; tall narrow sashes on first floor with moulded archivolts; small 6-pane second floor sashes under eaves, the centre 3 with continuous corbelled brick cill with erased plaque below and below outer windows tablets bearing dated 1836; brick stringcourses; slightly lower 1856 rear range on left with rusticated arch ground floor openings and round arch first floor windows; all sashes mostly with glazing bars intact; on extreme left is large later C19 hall. At rear various sash windows with glazing bars, some blocked, one large ground floor window with rusticated architrave.
Interior: Entrance hall has dado panelling and open-well staircase with moulded
balusters, newels and mahogany handrail. Two principal first floor rooms in north wing have reeded ceiling borders. Other features may be concealed by later
Note: Known as Tivoli Tavern and built as an hotel and refreshment rooms to the
Windmill Hill Pleasure Gardens, and said to have had a ballroom. It was extended in 1856 when occupied by a Jewish Academy and extended again later in C19.
Sources: Illustration in 1842 guide book and circa 1860 maps.
Listing NGR: TQ6477973474
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings