History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Watton Place and Attached Garden Wall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Watton at Stone, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8583 / 51°51'29"N

Longitude: -0.1138 / 0°6'49"W

OS Eastings: 529992

OS Northings: 219422

OS Grid: TL299194

Mapcode National: GBR K9X.G1H

Mapcode Global: VHGP7.ZK6B

Entry Name: Watton Place and Attached Garden Wall

Listing Date: 20 October 1952

Last Amended: 11 June 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089070

English Heritage Legacy ID: 356297

Location: Watton-at-Stone, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG14

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Watton-at-Stone

Built-Up Area: Watton at Stone

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Watton-at-Stone

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Bramfield

Listing Text

TL 21 NE & TL 3019 WATTON-AT-STONE HIGH STREET
(Southwest side)
Watton-at-Stone
3/187 & 9/187 No. 60 (Watton Place)
20.10.52 with Attached Garden Wall
(formerly listed as
Watton Place)
II*
GV

Large house, now offices. Late C15, floored, heated and extended in late
C16 or early C17. Altered C18 and early C19. Timber frame with some red
brick casing and additions. All roughcast and whitewashed. Steeply
pitched tiled roofs. Originally a 2 bay open hall and 2 bay solar cross
wing, now all 1 storey and attic, with a large triple gabled block added
at lower end. 2 storeys with cellars. Entrance front has C17 brick
casing across ground floor. In original screens passage position at left
end of hall is an early C18 6 panelled door, 1/3 glazed with a moulded
doorcase and bracketed hood. To right an early C18 flush frame thick
glazing bar sash. Further right is a small original brick panel with 3
trefoiled niches. Stack inserted at upper end of hall on front pitch,
rebuilt. Cross wing to right does not project. 2 first floor single
light casements and exposed plates flank an external C19 stack with
offsets. To far right is a C19 slate roofed red brick kitchen lean-to
outshut with dentilled brick eaves on return. At lower end to left of
hall is later and taller 3 bay triple gable fronted block, originally
probably jettied on all sides. Ground floor to front is slightly set
back with early brick casing and plinth. 3 early C19 flush frame thin
glazing bar sashes. Jettied first floor roughcast with 3 similar sashes,
windows unevenly spaced with larger gap for stack in valley between. 2
right bays. 3 of 4 original decorated red brick shafts remain, cable
twist, octagonal and honeycomb patterned with projecting moulded caps,
restored. Left return is all roughcast with C19 half glazed doors, 2
single light small pane casements on first floor. An external C18 stack
towards rear with offsets to stock brick capping. To rear: C19 door into
hall with a bracketed hood. To right Cl9 small pane French windows with
architrave and a horizontal sliding sashed box dormer. To left stock
brick casing onto solar wing with ground floor 3 light small pane
casements. An entrance with a bracketed hood in kitchen lean-to. Later
block to rear has a ridge parallel to hall range with a hip to far
right. Ground floor: C17 irregularly bonded red brick, entrance to left
of centre with a segmental head, open gabled pentice porch, to left
flush metal frame 2 light small pane casement, to right an early C19
glazing bar sash. Roughcast first floor is slightly set back behind
brick cased ground floor which has a slate coping. Flush frame glazing
bar sashes, that to left onto stairs with 16 panes. Left or inner gable
end was jettied with a first floor sash, bargeboards, part underbuilt in
stock brick. Interior: large arched brace in hall and C17 chamfered
axial binding beam. Large scantling with heavy jowled posts to cambered
tie beams to crown post roofs, 4 way braces in solar wing. Early C19
open well stair with moulded ramped handrail in later block. Cellars
have early arched headed recesses. Attached to front left and extending
for about 50m to enclose 2 sides of a garden is an C18 and C19 red brick
and flint wall varying from lm to 3m in height. Knapped flint panels to
road. Canted angle at corner. (RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: Pevsner 1977: RCHM
Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL2999219422

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.