This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6722 / 51°40'19"N
Longitude: -1.7783 / 1°46'41"W
OS Eastings: 415428
OS Northings: 197065
OS Grid: SU154970
Mapcode National: GBR 4T3.177
Mapcode Global: VHB31.477G
Entry Name: School House
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Last Amended: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089456
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128953
Location: Kempsford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Kempsford
Built-Up Area: Fairford Airfield
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Kempsford with Whelford
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SU 19 NE KEMPSFORD KEMPSFORD VILLAGE
8/108 School House
(formerly listed as School)
Original school building, converted into headmaster's house, and
now used as additional accommodation for school with library,
resource room etc. 1750, inscription on north wall. Random
coursed rubble stone with alternating flush quoins, stone slate
roof, large brick stack. Squarish range with small gable to road
and gable to east swept down to form catslide roof on north side,
single storey and attic. Scattered fenestration, mainly 2-light
wood casements. Central 6-panel door to east, top 2 panels glazed
with C19 gabled hood on wooden struts. To left of door, round
headed beaded edge stone window with keystone and impost blocks.
Stone inscription plaque between floors on north gable reads:
"Kempsford Charity School/Indowed by Thomas late LD Visct
Weymouth/with an Annual Salary of ten Pounds/Augmented by Thomas
present L Visct/Weymouth with Timber for its Building/the ground
whereon it stands and/Garden Rent free for ever/ Ere(.ted by the
Inhabitants, as a testi/mony of Gratitude for those Benefacti/ons,
as well as to promote useful/Learnings A.D.1750".
Interior has 2 chamfered and stopped beams on ground floor.
Listing NGR: SU1542897065
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings