This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0088 / 52°0'31"N
Longitude: -1.6824 / 1°40'56"W
OS Eastings: 421898
OS Northings: 234528
OS Grid: SP218345
Mapcode National: GBR 5QH.1GD
Mapcode Global: VHBYS.SRGY
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089543
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128653
Location: Batsford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL56
Civil Parish: Batsford
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Todenham St Thomas of Canterbury
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
BATSFORD LOWER LEMINGTON
SP 23 SW
5/19 Church of St. Leonard
Anglican church. C12 nave; Early English chancel; C19 vestry and
porch. Nave: pebble-dashed uncoursed limestone rubble. Buttressed
on south and west. Chancel: pebble-dashed roughly coursed limestone
rubble. Limestone slate roof and limestone coping rising to C12-13
bellcote with single bell inscribed 'Richard Sanders made me,
1722' at east end. Vestry: coursed squared and dressed with thin
limestone slate roof and limestone gable coping and ashlar chimney.
Porch: coursed squared and dressed limestone with limestone slate
roof. Plan: nave with south porch and vestry to north chancel.
Exterior: nave south wall: two 2-light stone-mullioned windows
with Decorated tracery and stopped hoods, flanking porch. Left
window C19 replacement. Right hand window C14. Similar in north
wall and north wall of vestry, single original lancet window left
of vestry. 2-light C19 traceried window in west wall. Chancel
south wall: 2-light C17 stone-mullioned window with stilted arched
heads to lights and stopped hood left. 2-light stone-mullioned
window, right. 2-light east window with Early English tracery and
hood. Two original lancets in north wall. All windows with leaded
panes. Porch: C19 studded plank door within flat-chamfered
stilted arched doorway. Stepped gabled coping to chancel. Flat
gable coping to vestry with decorative octagonal chimney also.
Interior: simple nave with C12 south door with chevron-ornamented
arch with scalloped capitals. Plain, C12 round-headed north
doorway now opening into vestry. Low narrow round-headed chancel
arch with moulded imposts and scratched sanctus crosses on right
jamb. Small irregular squints to either side of arch. Two steps
up to chancel, one up to sanctuary. Stone flagged floor to all.
C13-14 roof with wind braces and cambered tie with moulded soffit
and braced collar above, Chancel: continuous roll-moulded string
forming window sills on north and south. C17 queen-post roof.
Nave fittings: small C19 octagonal font with wooden canopy and C19
accordian at rear of church. C18 hexagonal panelled wooden pulpit
and reading desk in south east corner. Pulpit retains original
integral candleholders. 3 circular hanging candelabras and 7 pole
candle-holders with simple scroll decoration set within pews.
Candles form the only lighting within the church. Stained glass by
Nuttgens, 1935 in west window. C19 stained glass in 2 other
windows in nave. Chancel: C12 tub font in south west corner. Early
plank built chest against north wall. Chair left of altar made of
C13 bench ends. C20 altar and altar rails. 4 wooden plaques with
religious inscriptions on east wall. Table of kindred over chancel
arch. Small simple brass plate in floor in front of altar to
Charles and Peter Greville, dated 1636. (David Verey, The
Buildings of England: The Cotswolds, 1979).
Listing NGR: SP2189334530
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings